Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

UI suggestion. Entering variables when adding dimensions to a newly created sketch element.

david_fisher031david_fisher031 Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
When you create a new sketch element a text box appears with the current dimension which allows you to start typing to give it a new value. But it doesn't start the edit process if you hit the # key to enter a variable name, you have to hit a numeric key and then delete that and then enter the variable name. Could it be changed so that entering a # also starts the editing process.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hmm.  I'd misinterpreted the intention of this post but it triggered a thought.

I'd like to declare a variable when entering a dimension, either when creating an element (via the dimension field that pops up already upon creation), or when using the dimension tool.

So say we're creating a  shaft, and we want the diameter to be controlled by a variable.  

Current method.
    First we navigate in the feature tree above where we want to use the variable and declare it so its available when we come to want it.
    Next we draw a sketch and put a circle on it.  The dimension box appears when we click to place the circle, then enter the variable name, if we can remember what we called it... 

Proposal:-
    Create the variable on the fly in the sketch.
    Click the circle and in the dimension field enter #ShaftDiameter=20mm

OS triggers on the "#" and the "=" to determine we want to create a new variable (or re-dimension one if it's already been declared) and goes ahead and does that for us.  So we can see and adjust it later it creates the variable "as if a human did it" and puts it in the feature tree.  Just the #ShaftDiameter name remains in the actual sketch dimension field, so now we're back to normal.

It only saves about 5 clicks per variable but saves hopping in and out of sketches to declare variables each time you want a new one, or 20 of them!

Moving this forward a step how about bolstering variables with "types" and "Enums"? If you've not played with types before think of them as super variable that can hold many parameters in a nice single, easy to use set. 

Any good?

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @owen_sparks
    We certainly need a lot of improvements into variables and how to use them. Your suggestion would be one of needed improvements. +1
    //rami
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    +1

• Options
    brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    +1
    I would like to see variables exist parallel to the feature tree instead of part of it. They should be "timeless," meaning they can be created at any time and used for any feature.
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    +1
    I would like to see variables exist parallel to the feature tree instead of part of it. They should be "timeless," meaning they can be created at any time and used for any feature.
    I like that a lot.

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I'm sure Onshape is very well aware that we need parameters / variables for many different cases. Some of them benefit from variable being tied to feature tree but I would go more into the way that every given dimension IS automatically parameter which can be used in other dimensions.
    I'm too lazy to first think of parameters and then sketch, I just wan't to model and if I wan't to refer to some existing dimension there should be direct access to any given value.

And shortly after that, I would like to see global parameters where main assembly from another document controls the whole model. So it would probably mean parameter list on top of documents so that any document can access those parameters and parameter list could 'pull in' any value from any document for reference.

This all is probably on the table at Onshape already but I do like their way of giving also the first iterations for us to stab and test while they prepare awesome things for us.
    //rami
  • Options
    aravind_guduriaravind_guduri Member Posts: 1
    @david_fisher031 You can activate dimension field by pressing "="(which gives you empty dimension field.)
    You don't need to type a numeric to start it.
  • Options
    paul_chastellpaul_chastell Onshape Employees Posts: 124
    aravind_guduri. Yes, @david_fisher031, the '=' key will bring up an empty edit box. The reasoning for this is that a lot of other keys have short cuts assigned and potentially, if typing expressions, the first character could be all sorts of non-numeric values. In addition # is shift + 3 on a US keyboard, and that has an existing shortcut. So we went for the approach that we would listen to numbers, '.' and '=' for this. I've also read the other suggestions and we will add them in as we consider future expression and variable improvements.
    Paul Chastell
    TVP, Onshape R&D