Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Magic mouse panning

I am accustomed to using the Magic Mouse touch surface (acts like a 2d "scroll wheel) on Mac for panning, but it seems like I can't choose that option in my account settings. It would be great if there was a little more customization available.

Comments

• Options
    bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    Have you tried mapping this out through the browser settings? 
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• Options
    GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 386 PRO
    You can ctrl-RMB and drag to pan...but I don't believe that you can make use of the touch surface on a Magic Mouse. I've tried with other programs like Blender etc and you can't map it there either.
  • Options
    brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    I recommend getting the application MagicPrefs. You can program the touchpad or Magic Mouse to give you actions like a middle mouse button.
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,015 PRO
    ctrl-RMB works for me. 

I guess with my track pad I zoom out and in to reposition. Can't say I've tried to pan from track pad.

brian_brady thanks for the tip about magicprefs, I going to use it and try to make SW more compatible with 
    magic mouse.

I can't say I have problems with OS and a magic mouse. In fact I'd say I prefer OS over SW because the mouse works so much better in OS.

brian_brady there's a web cast about collaboration tomorrow, are you going to watch it?

• Options
    brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    billy said:
    brian_brady thanks for the tip about magicprefs, I going to use it and try to make SW more compatible with 
    magic mouse.

I can't say I have problems with OS and a magic mouse. In fact I'd say I prefer OS over SW because the mouse works so much better in OS.

brian_brady there's a web cast about collaboration tomorrow, are you going to watch it?

I've been using MagicPrefs for about 4 or 5 years on my MacBook Pro or Air running Parallels and Windows 7 or 10 in order to run Creo. It has worked great for me all of that time. I find it strange now moving to another person's Mac to assist them because I try to tap with 3 fingers for MMB and nothing happens.

I cannot make the web cast tomorrow; I am teaching solid modeling from 12 to 3. I am using Onshape though for the class and students submit all of their assignments using versions and sharing with me.
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,015 PRO
    edited September 2016
    brian-the web cast was well done and I found the company more interesting than the collaboration side of the demo. Collaboration is very exciting and definitely the new frontier. It will be the reason we leave the old desktop solutions. 

They showed a simple example of collaboration in the form a standard demo which was kind of a let down for me. I mean it was well done, but not what I was looking for. Collaboration is in it's infancy and we desperately need someone to figure it out. Scotrenewables is trending in this topic and I'm excited what they do with it. Hope they share.

I feel bad I asked you to go figure it out, but I really want someone to do it, I think they'll be a hero.

I put SW in the all the schools in California k-12 to stanford & cal poly. I really enjoyed doing it. Let me know if you want to trade some war stories about cad in education.

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @jacob_jennings I have also used magicprefs but it can come with some oddities with some of the view manipulation settings in your Onshape settings.  We have some improvements to do more native gesture support on the web client.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.