Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Mates animate in subassembly, but not main assembly

I'm working on a four bar lifting mechanism in OnShape, which works in the subassembly, but for the second time, it has stopped working in the main assembly. No changes were made in the main assembly between it working and not working - only in the subassembly. 

Here it is, working in the subassembly: https://youtu.be/hTqT68O_k3U

And here, in the main assembly, I have one of the support rails fastened to the base of the robot, which is fastened to the origin (it also doesn't work if the base is simply fixed). If I disable the rail to base mate, and fix the rail, the four bar system moves again. https://youtu.be/9lIAmk2DtbY

Like I said, this is the second time this has broken. The last time, I ended up deleting the subassembly, re-adding it to the main assembly, and creating the same fastened mate. I don't want to have to fix the rail. I like having only one piece fixed. Is there something wrong with the way I'm joining the subassembly to the base? The subassembly uses lots of cylindrical mates, which I've found can sometimes be a bit squirrely, but I've taken to using them in place of revolute mates, where changing one thing will turn a dozen mates red.

Answers

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    What your doing with the fasten mate rather than a fix is the right approach, not sure why it's locking. 

Is is posible to share public or PM me a link so I can take a look.

Another idea if it has worked in the past is to find a spot on the history tree where it was working, version and branch from here and take a look at whats different.  

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    You could also take that subassembly into another doc so you would always use a version of that in main assembly. If you make change that brakes it, you would see it immediately after updating the main assy to use the newest version. This way it shouldn't ever brake on itself.

Did you create a ticket through feedback and share your doc with Onshape support? If you have IP involved and can't share doc with community I'd recommend getting help from Onshape support.
    //rami
  • Options
    viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    @sarah_baucom, You have given fastened mate in your main assembly due to that motion of sub-assembly is restricted. Kindly give revolute mate in place of fastened then it would definitely work. If you find any difficulty to get motion as per your requirement then please make your document public and share URL link of your document in Onshape forum. You will definitely get solution of your problem in very short duration of time. If you do not want to make your document public then kindly share me on virendrasinghmumbai@gmail.com