Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Mate connector in derived object does not follow the transform of the derived part?

OpenR2OpenR2 OS Professional Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
edited October 2016 in Community Support
Should the mate connector that came in with the derived object move with the rest of the derived geometry when a transform is applied? It seems like the mate connector is left behind after the transform.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,416
    That is working as intended but personally I'd like to see at least a checkbox in the UI that gives you the option to move the mate connector as well. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    NeilCooke said:
    That is working as intended but personally I'd like to see at least a checkbox in the UI that gives you the option to move the mate connector as well. 
    I couldn't agree more.

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    OpenR2OpenR2 OS Professional Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    This was my first pass through assembling the meshes into an positioned assembly to be for space reference. I actually transformed the meshes from their origins in the part studio that contained the imports. I did not put the mate connectors in.

I had only one part in the assembly that had multiple instances so I tried to use the mate connector methodology. This worked great to position the part. But kind of fell apart warthen the mate connector did not move with the transform and when there was no way to hide just the mate connector.

I would like to now go back and delete all the transforms on the imported mesh and properly use mate connectors. I might wait until the mate connector moves with part. I think I have to wait for the no show fix .... or else every single part would have a duplicate instance that was in no-show.

Any idea if this is something that can be fixed in the next few weeks?

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @OpenR2 It is something we are measuring interest on but would be an improvement to the system. It will not be implemented in the next few weeks but will eventually be evaluated for a future release.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    Reece_IsaacReece_Isaac Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    Not being able to hide a mate connector of a derived part makes it harder to find the correct mate connectors later in the process after more mate connectors are used.  Also only being able to rotate the mate connector in axis makes when rotations through two axis are needed hasn't been possible either.  Am I missing a step in trying to achieve this?

• Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi @Reece_Isaac, to hide the mate in the derived part you need to hide the derived feature in the feature tree.  Don't worry this doesn't hide the part itself.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd