Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Impossible to hide mate connector of derived part (in Part Studio)?

øyvind_kaurstadøyvind_kaurstad Member Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
I'm obsessing over hiding stuff I don't want to see, and in general, mate connectors I want to keep hidden unless I need them.

However, when deriving a part that has a mate connector, it seems impossible to hide that, even if it is hidden in the source part studio? Is this part of the same annoying thing that mate connectors doesn't stick with the part they belong to during a transform (that's also extremely annoying, btw).

In a recent webinar, @cody_armstrong advocated the use of mate connectors, but if I can't hide them when I don't need them they're useless (not really, but I don't want to see them after using them).

Comments

• Options
    cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
    @øyvind_kaurstad   Hide the derived feature in the feature list. 

• Options
    Doh! Now I feel stupid, because I think I've seen that somewhere before...
    Anyway, thanks for answering.
  • Options
    Hmm, it seems that hiding the derived feature isn't always enough. Sometimes I also have to go to the source part and hide the mate connector there too. Is that how it's supposed to work, @cody_armstrong?
  • Options
    OpenR2OpenR2 OS Professional Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    I had a hard time with this last week. I tried what seems like various different combinations. My final working attempt was hiding the mate connector in the source part and the derived part. I never went back to unhide in the source part to see what happened.
  • Options
    There seems to be some flakiness in this area. I have also seen the mate connectors appear even if they are hidden in the source part (and also that the derived features are hidden). Refreshing the document can then help in getting rid of them again, it seems.
  • Options
    OpenR2OpenR2 OS Professional Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    The other strange things with the mate connector from the derived feature is that if you able a transform to the derived feature the mate connector stays in the location it was imported while the geometry moves around.  

I guess if you have one body that you were importing then you would want the mate connector to move with that body.....but if you have multiple bodies that you were applying different transforms against....which body would the mate connector move with?

This is where the concept of having multiple bodies in the part studio starts to get a little sticky. Maybe a solution would be to some how couple a mate connector with a specific feature or part in the part studio .... and it moves with that part. But you could put a separate mate connector with each part? IDK.

This is where the hybrid of assembly modeling and part modeling gets a little sticky for relationships that would be obvious with two discrete objects. Not saying this is good or bad...just that some thought needs to be put into how things work in the hybrid.

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    We are working on adding the ability to hide/show each sub-derived feature.. for now you can hide parts in the Parts list and other features by hiding the derived feature directly.  Mate connectors might act a bit different as well.  Consolidation will come soon.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    I'm really hoping that the mate connector of a part stays with the (owner) part when that part is transformed/moved. Having the mate connectors just floating in space like it is today (after a transform) is not a good solution.
  • Options
    mauricio_hernandezmauricio_hernandez Member Posts: 10 EDU
    @øyvind_kaurstad   Hide the derived feature in the feature list. 

Thanks Cody, that worked for me.
  • Options
    Rhett_RobinsonRhett_Robinson Member Posts: 95 PRO
    Someone at work asked me about this, is there an update on if the ability to hide the mate connector of a derived feature in a part studio is coming soon? It would be nice if it worked like it did in assemblies.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,399
    Someone at work asked me about this, is there an update on if the ability to hide the mate connector of a derived feature in a part studio is coming soon? It would be nice if it worked like it did in assemblies.
    See Cody's answer above - no change.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI