Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Rib-type axial cam

bill_danielsbill_daniels Member Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
I found another thread on barrel cams but my question is a little different.  I need to model an axial cam for two cam followers.  Unlike the groove-type barrel cam, it will have a raised rib with a follower on each side - sort of the inverse of a grooved barrel cam.  This a a bit more complicated in that the width of the rib must change with the pressure angle whereas the groove-type barrel cam groove width is always the same.  The advantage sought is that the cam followers can be pre-loaded axially resulting in a very quiet, smooth running cam.

Anyone have an idea of how to do this?  I know there are very expensive software packages for modeling cams but I only need to do it once.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm having trouble picturing what you mean. It sounds like you're talking about just a regular radial cam with two followers.
  • Options
    bill_danielsbill_daniels Member Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,417
    If you can get the points that define the splines then you can build it using FeatureScript. If not, then it is probably too difficult to do by hand since the contact points on both rollers is not always along the vertical axis.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI