Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Change a surface from revolve to a "solid"

henry_feldmanhenry_feldman Member Posts: 126 EDU
So I revolved a part with a totally enclosed surface, which refused to revolve as anything but a surface for reasons that no error message could explain) and OS was totally happy to thicken it and it is a nice feature. So OK, next I wished to boolean a chunk out of it with a closed shape resulting, instead it is a hollow object and I end up seeing the inside of the cube (picture a closed hollow cylinder, drill a hole in the side). Is there is way to make an object solid (I know with some imported geometry there are tools, but this is OS geometry). The alternative is an error message that informed me WHY it can't revolve as a solid, but only as a surface.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited November 2016
    henry-
    great request, but let's not stop here.

OS please allow me to knit into a solid. And while you're at it, this time, put in an un-knit.

henry, there is no such thing as a "solid" and there are no "solid" modelers. Once a manifold reaches a state where it's totally enclosed (surfaces meeting at edges, edges meeting at vertices) and everything is "water tight", then it achieves a status called "solid". Mathematically there's no solids involved. Everythings a b-rep, boundary representation, a volume bound by surfaces. You're letting them off to easy, stick to your guns and ask for that surface to solid function.

sorry to hi-jack your post, but it's time to turn this on. We have trimmed surfaces & 3d splines. It's time to let billy have some fun. Please let me knit & un-knit.