Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

What is your xmas 2016 feature & fix wish?

3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
edited November 2016 in Product Feedback
No this not another wishlist thread and this is not the place to make official requests. Use feedback in cad to add requests for developers.
This is only to tell other members your wish (and who knows if Onshape elves are looking behind window).

And because I got to play Santa here, you get:
1. One new feature +
2. One fix for existing feature

My wishes:
1. Configurations / variants for part & assembly workspace
2. Use current version of document with linked documents
//rami
Tagged:

Comments

• romeo_grahamromeo_graham OS Professional Posts: 9
    1. Parting line draft features
    2. better performance for imported electronics assemblies (with LOTS of surface bodies)
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    1) Mold tools - p/l draft, draft analysis, surface tools including surface repair
    2) Same as @romeo_graham - Import of surface bodies that have problems (files SW is able to import with fix)
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    1. 3D sketching
    2. When you move a drawing view, have the notes move with it.
  • bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. sheet metal featues
    2. fix import of .dxf files to accept all entities (ie splines, some times imported, some times not imported)
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• Henk_de_VlaamHenk_de_Vlaam Member, Developers Posts: 237 ✭✭✭
    1) Show sketch dimensions in drawing views and tolerate that dimensions according to a standard (ISO) tolerance tables automatically.
    2) Keep a Mate Connection that is on an edge valid after adding a round or chamfer on that edge. At this moment assies gets corrupted then.
    Henk de Vlaam (NL)
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @henk_d_v Thank you for posting. 
    I have some good news for you! 
    If as you indicate, you need a mate connector at a virtual sharp (such as an edge that is later filleted), you can do this today. Simply apply an explicit mate connect to the edge in the part studio before filleting the edge. Merry Xmas :)

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    1. Variants for part and assembly
    2. Sheet-metal functionality
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Rami this is far too limiting, what about 12 day's of Christmas with a request and improvement for each day, 12 new features and 12 improvement to exist features, finishing with your most wanted. Ok I'll try to stay to your rules...sort of...

1. Product Variants for Assemblies.

2. A stocking full of Drawing Improvements, Broken view's, Hole Callouts, linked resizable balloons, BOM's, focus notes to views, place named views, part property links to templates, shaded view's, smart dimension tool,

Hopefully sheetmetal is the guaranteed christmas pudding and in context assembly editing is the roast turkey.

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • don_howedon_howe Member Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    I would like to see

1. Working envelope or system limits increased beyond the current limit for pc's, so that projects with very large radii can be easily done

2. fix the image quality of drawings for Android devices. 
  • colemancoleman OS Professional Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    The list is long but if I have to narrow it down to one-

1) Configurations / variants 

2) Drawing improvements & native BOM.  Obviously a must in a professional CAD package. 
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    1. Parting line draft features
    2. better performance for imported electronics assemblies (with LOTS of surface bodies)

Draft is not something I use much now but understand how important it is to mould design. I thought I'd give it a quick try here and almost expected it to work on the part line I created with the split face command but no luck, I could not get it to tapper from the curved split, see the step created around the upper face. I am sure this could be implemented fairly easily into the current draft command. 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/028416b248d63897465807a3/w/8592df0359144f55516a2b82/e/ee7e3d21a96598b34141c424
  • Henk_de_VlaamHenk_de_Vlaam Member, Developers Posts: 237 ✭✭✭
    @henk_d_v Thank you for posting. 
    I have some good news for you! 
    If as you indicate, you need a mate connector at a virtual sharp (such as an edge that is later filleted), you can do this today. Simply apply an explicit mate connect to the edge in the part studio before filleting the edge. Merry Xmas :)

Afterthought I knew it, the arrangment of the feature tree.
    Thank you.
    Henk de Vlaam (NL)
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    @brucebartlett - an early Christmas present for you today

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    edited November 2016
    NeilCooke said:
    @brucebartlett - an early Christmas present for you today

Checking under tree now, so far I like the new spinner..

holes callouts...

now i have to catch a bus.. more searching latter
  • chrisjh777chrisjh777 Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭✭
    Please Santa,  I have been a very good boy!

1.   Hole callouts in drawings.

2.  "Replace" command in assemblies. e.g. Replace all or selected M6 x 16 Caphead Screws with M6 x 12 Caphead screws.  Just like SW.  I have worked out how to use my Solidworks created Fasteners Library in OS.  I use it often now.
  • abefeldmanabefeldman Member Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    @chrisjh777 - good news!  Hole callouts is now available after the update this morning.  

Abe Feldman
    UX/PD/Community Support
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Only 11 wishes and many of them are duplicates - hole callouts narrowed one so if you add configurations you get 50% success which is probably better rating than Santa ever gets =)
    //rami
  • Stuart_TodStuart_Tod Member Posts: 56 PRO
    My Christmas wish list - a mid tier plan for OS. Oh, and please fix the 'bug' that has the forum discussion on changes to the Onshape Plan not updating when new posts are added - it's currently hiding on page 5 of the forum, displaying last post date as 10th November when there is actually a post from yesterday on there. Surely an oversight - no-one could possibly think that by hiding the post the sentiment will go away?
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited November 2016
    My Santa's List:
    -surface knitting
    -solidification from b-rep surfaces
    -surface un-knitting
    -fit spline
    -3D sketch
    -ruled surface
    -planer surface
    -radial surface
    -solid lofts using edges
    -compound edge selection when create a surface/solid
    -cleaner surface trims
    -offset face from solid
    -surface extrude with draft
    -surface extrude 3D curve/edge
    -tangent control on middle spline nodes

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @billyrides - that's a pretty awesome list! 
    Its great to have you onboard as a Pro user and I am guessing you are a mold maker?
    We all read these threads, but please remember to have these recorded as official enhancement requests and tallied (and notify you when we've done them), remember to submit these through the feedback tool. It's the difference between say posting a bunch of stuff on FaceBook and actually voting! Feel free to do both however :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    Draft is not something I use much now but understand how important it is to mould design. I thought I'd give it a quick try here and almost expected it to work on the part line I created with the split face command but no luck, I could not get it to tapper from the curved split, see the step created around the upper face. I am sure this could be implemented fairly easily into the current draft command. 

@brucebartlett -  A BIG AMEN!!  Mold tools  (this side of pond spelling.. :) )  are critical to many manufacturing process (I was going to list them but that would be excessive...)   And btw I learned about face split through your document. How cool is sharing documents on here?  THANKS!
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited December 2016
    philip- you know me, there's a flurry of enhancements that accompanied this and tim rice & I are now best friends. 

I do a lot of organic designs and hand held devices. I'm not a mold maker, but I know many who are.

You can take compound curve off the list as I wrote fit splines over the weekend. In practice, I think it works better than the old selection manager found in other systems.

on this forum, I go by billy, billyrides & billy2. why? I've been doing a lot of API work and really messed my account up and those have many names. It's my fault, logging in as many different people recently.

@billy2 - Oh boy! :)
    I have used your fit spline and really like it.
    I have noticed that often the preview has failed but the finished result is still good (just turn off preview).
    The other piece of feedback from a very well known design house that i showed it to was that it would be nice if it worked with closed profiles.
    Great to have you here (in all your guises!) :)

Philip Thomas - Onshape
    edited December 2016
    Not to clutter 3dcad's post with feature script stuff, philip, I moved this to the feature script area.
    jump to feature script area

• adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 258 PRO
    edited December 2016

1. Sheet Metal

2.Feature recognition between Onshape and SolidWorks (or at least import sketches).

Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    1. Surface knitting/unknitting
    2. Loft tool - allow multiple curves to be selected for each profile (without having to be closed into a face)
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl