Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Metric as opposed to Imperial

MattinkerMattinker Member Posts: 1
I have searched "metric" and have got nothing that resembles formating my drawing in the metric system, I work in millimeters!

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Hi Mattinker,

When you create a new document, we create the document in the units that are set in your account settings.  This is default to Inch and Degree for dimensions.  If you would like to change them, click on your name in the top right of the product and choose "Manage account".  On the account page, there is a tab called "Settings".  Navigate to that tab and there are drop downs for the units you would like to use when you create a document.  Set them to your preference and hit save.

1. Go to Manage Account from your user drop down

2. Find the "Settings" tab and navigate to it

3. Change to the units you'd wish to use and hit save

To reiterate, these settings will only apply to new documents that you create.  It will have no override for documents already created or ones that are shared with you.

If you would like to update a document that was already created in imperial units, use the document menu while in a document and choose the "Units..." drop down.  This will bring up a dialog that will let you choose the units for the document.  This will change the display dimensions and the defaults of any new dimensions being created, but will not change dimensions you've already entered.  We allow mixed units and will honor the user input.

1. Enter the document you want to change units and select the document menu.  From this dropdown, choose the "Units..." option

2. This brings up the units dialog which will show which units the document is in.

3. Select the units you want the document to be in and hit the green checkmark to apply it to the document.

1.png 490.9K
    2.png 161.8K
    3.png 170.5K
    4.png 369.7K
    5.png 378K
    6.png 379.2K
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
    tim_huffamtim_huffam Member Posts: 2
    I am trying to evaluate OnShape... this is not great - it does not use the metric units.
    Set my defaults to mm when I created the account.  Created new document-  but still in inches.  Tried setting document units to mm.. but drawing now have both inches and mm in the drawing.   
    Can I ask, is this app still in Beta?  If so you need to let people know,
    Also, the screen shots above look nothing like what I see when I go into Manage Account - are there different versions??
    Thanks
    Tim
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,399
    @tim_huffam it was in beta 9 years ago when those screenshots were taken :smile:

See here for making units default for all new docs https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/Plans/preferences.htm#Units
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI