Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Named dimensions, using in equations

TomeTome Member Posts: 1
What a great start to a CAD system.  Love the collaboration and mobile capabilities especially.  Keep up the good work!  

I would like to see named dimensions and the ability to use them in equations to define geometry.  This, and projecting geometry to planes and other geometry are two features I commonly use and find lacking in OnS.  Thanks,
-Tom

Comments

• Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I'm sure we will have this and even global parameter control as time goes.. According to other threads on this matter, OnS seems to know it's important feature and will implement when possible.
    //rami
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I hoping for a simple link from the current expression editor.(My Ticket is 1948)
     Something like =D1, =(D1+2) I did go looking with the new release. Current I am doing this by manually inputing into the expressions, was very excited to see the "change to driven dimension" turn up in the latest release, thats a step in the right direction.

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    I hoping for a simple link from the current expression editor.(My Ticket is 1948)
     Something like =D1, =(D1+2) I did go looking with the new release. Current I am doing this by manually inputing into the expressions, was very excited to see the "change to driven dimension" turn up in the latest release, thats a step in the right direction.

+1 vote for name dimensions using equations
    Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that we need the things being requested, and that it's only a matter of time before we get them.

And although it's clearly not a case of the glass already being half full, I think the existing embedding of input mathematics in dimension entry is elegantly minimal.

I reckon it's a great example of one of the guiding principles of Onshape's interface design: doing more, and doing better, with less.
  • Options
    christopher_owenschristopher_owens Member Posts: 235 ✭✭
    @andrew_troup : I was just searching for this. I was wanting to do just this DIA1=X  (DIA2=DIA1-0.25). I there an update?
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    @andrew_troup : I was just searching for this. I was wanting to do just this DIA1=X  (DIA2=DIA1-0.25). I there an update?
    No sign of it yet

As a workaround, you can add a sketch to do maths with, using lines, equal relations (both within the sketch, for addition and multiplication, and to bring data into or out of the sketch), symmetric constraints, similar triangles for proportion, right triangles for trig etc.

As well as using the fact that multiplication is just repeated addition, it may also be useful to reflect that division is no more than repeated subtraction with (usually) a remainder. 
  • Options
    traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    @andrew_troup This is a great technique. I also use it to clean up sketches in cad that doesn't allow layers or hiding dimensions. A group of dimensioned straight lines in the corner with equals constraints to geometry whose meaning would be obscured if directly dimensioned.
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Mostly I'm missing separate parameter list (of dimensions) where to make the changes rather than opening sketch after another..
    //rami
  • Options
    Actually it's not necessary (although often it might actually be conceptually simpler) to do trig using triangles, given that trig relations can be embedding in dimensions in the extra "maths oriented" sketch I suggested above.
  • Options
    aaron_gebaueraaron_gebauer Member Posts: 1
    I just started reading this forum, and coincidentally had the same two suggestions in mind.  That's mostly because I was in the middle of making a parametric gear model when I came across OnShape.  I used equations to make the involute curve and build the rest of the gear.  I made the gears in SolidWorks, and imported them into OnShape to build the rest of my assembly.  I think it will only be a matter of time before those features (or features that will work just as well) are available. 

Aside from those things, and hoping some day I can use OnShape on my Android tablet, I really enjoy OnShape!  Love it!

Aaron
  • Options
    Tome said:
    What a great start to a CAD system.  Love the collaboration and mobile capabilities especially.  Keep up the good work!  

I would like to see named dimensions and the ability to use them in equations to define geometry.  This, and projecting geometry to planes and other geometry are two features I commonly use and find lacking in OnS.  Thanks,
    -Tom

Regarding the second "feature" you mention, I imagine you're aware of the workarounds using "extrude", as a surface?

For instance, to project a sketch to another sketch, or a set of faces, or a surface... 

• Options
    alesandroalesandro Member Posts: 2
    I'm just going to add my support for this feature (named dimensions and equation driven geometry).