Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Create dimension tangent to 2 circular lines?

johnny_1johnny_1 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
Hello,

I cannot find a way to put a dimension on the drawing which is tangent to 1 or 2 circular shapes. See screenshot what I want to achieve.

What is the method to achieve this?

Johnny 

Comments

• PahlPahl Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Hi @johnny_1

As shown in my attachment the radius of the two circles plus the vertical distance between the two centers of the circles already equals the total hight dimension you are trying to create. If you want to add that dimension just for visual reference then I would suggest creating two construction lines and making them tangent to the circles as shown in my attachment and then add your dimension. Hope that helps. 

edited February 2017
    Here is a link with some additional information on the sketch tool Dimension.
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/sketch-tools-dimension.htm

Be sure to check out "Driven dimensions" at the bottom of the page to learn about the difference between Driven and Driving dimensions.
    Driving dimensions appear black and can be edited.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    You will find this limitation in drawings.  Hopefully, we will see an improvement so this kind of geometry can be easily dimensioned. 

As a workaround you can split the face or add a small bit of geometry in the part studio, at the place you wish to dimension from, this will then enable you to select a node with the 2 point linear dimension tool in the drawings. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
    Seems the topic was about drawings and I was thinking he was talking about dimensioning a sketch. My mistake, sorry about that.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    @johnny_1 - how you dimension this type of geometry changed back in September (I think) - dimension to the center point of each arc first, then drag the dimension extension lines to the extremities of each arc to get the tangent dimension you need.

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Thanks @NeilCooke, that works perfectly, but maybe not intuitively. 

Forget my workaround above.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • johnny_1johnny_1 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Thanks @NeilCooke, that works perfectly, but maybe not intuitively. 

Forget my workaround above.
    Indeed I got the desired results. Definitely not intuitive.