Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

What is the reason for Onshape's import of DXF/DWG behavior?

StephenGStephenG Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
I imported a DXF and DWG into a Document for the first time. The first thing I noticed was 2 tabs were created for each imported file. 

One tab icon appears as   (Gift Wrap) with the filename of the imported file. The contents appear to be a useless summary of the file import process.

The other tab icon  (Drawing) contains the actual drawing data and opening it displays the data in Onshape's Drawing app.

I didn't see much value in other tab so I deleted it. Big mistake which I will explain later. 

1st strange behavior: I did the "Import" in a Folder tab. The Drawing tab appeared in the active Folder tab, but the Gift Wrap tab was added to the main tab level. I do not understand the significance of this behavior and why even bother with creating the Gift Wrap tab?

2nd strange behavior: When I attempted to import the DXF/DWG into a sketch the name of the DXF/DWG didn't show up in the selection list.  I see the DXF/DWG tab in the Document, why isn't in the selection list? What's with that?

It appears the Gift Wrap tab associated with the Drawing tab for the DXF/DWG file is required to make it importable into a sketch. What's with that?

3rd strange behavior: Not really strange, but I was disappointed with the result. 1) Spline entities that appear in the Drawing app do not import into the sketch. 2) There were no options to preform/control autoconstraining of the imported data. At a minimize curve end, circle/arc center points that are coincident with other curve end, circle/arc center points should have had a coincident constraint applied.

In retrospect it is faster to "import" DXF/DWG data (assuming you want to create a constrained sketch) by opening up another browser window to display the drawing for reference while you manually redraw the geometry. A significant portion of the constraints are captured during the sketching of geometry process.

Best Answer

Answers

• StephenGStephenG Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
    "Gift Wrap" icon, I can see a Trademark infringement lawsuit coming from AutoDesk...:)

Your explanation makes perfect sense, one should retain the original CAD file associated with the design information you derived from it. If you really do not want it - delete it (but not before you get what you want out of it). I guess I was thrown off by the implementation of how it worked. It seemed strange that when I was working in a folder the translated result appeared as a tab in my open folder, yet the import file showed up as a tab at the top document level.

The proper behavior should be for both the imported original file and the translated result should initially go into the same folder; you can move things around latter. It would be nice if there was a dialogue box to specify the folder(s) where the imported original and translated resultant go.   

I was also thrown off by the fact the DXF/DWG translated result looked fine (the spline was translated). Yet the import of the DXF/DWG file into a sketch dropped the spline. That shouldn't happen.

Lack of autoconstraint ... sounds like a call for a FeatureScript! Get one of your interns right on it.

The problem is with the "use as is" approach means incorporating design changes are effected by deleting the original sketch and importing all new sketch geometry.  As a result secondary modeling operations break because it looses it connection to the original sketch curves.

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    +1 with importing & converting all files into current folder
    (many many times I have converted a copy since it didn't seem to appear when having a bunch of folders so that you need to scroll to see if something appeared into root of document)

+1 on having linked dxf/dwg shape in sketch - if need to update, simply select shape (or sketch) and update link to another dxf
    (onshape should maintain any bodies created from linked shape)

+1 for import options and being able to view and measure dxf/dwg without converting
    (think of having 50-500 dxfs which you only need to examine and maybe take few measures) 

+1 for being able to actually draw in drawings

+1 for being able to use/import drawing into sketch

Over time I will probably put in IR tickets for these, but here's just an overview of my thoughts in this matter - open for commenting.. 
    //rami