Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Driven variable in driven dimension?

andy_cateandy_cate Member Posts: 5 EDU
Hi, I am a beginner in Onshape.  I have been experimenting with variables in my sketches, and have come across a problem.  I want to have a variable that is in a driven dimension.  Any help would be appreciated!

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    edited February 2017
    Hi Andy,

You can use dimensions in sketches the same way you use them in feature dialogs, by using: #whateverYouNamedYourVaraible (a pound sign followed by your variable name)
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    So you need variable that changes according to other changes in the model?

This is something that Onshape could improve a lot, you need to run also other dimensions with variables and calculate the missing value from those. You can't directly reference to existing dimensions and you can't change parameter value by adding parameter name to driven dimension (which would be pretty awesome though!).

So if you need to know where is midpoint of line. Add parameter L for line length and create another parameter Lmid= #L / 2
    //rami
  • Options
    thomas_kozakthomas_kozak Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    There is an improvement request which sounds like something very similar, see here: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/23570/
    This would be a HUGE improvement in my opinion, especially for parametric designs.
  • Options
    thomas_kozakthomas_kozak Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Ahh, Measure Distance is a rather nice workaround for this, thank you much!  - for linear measurements.  Any insight into how you might do something like making a line equal to a measured arc segment?
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi Thomas,

There is also a Measure Length FeatureScript that works similairly

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/3b94cb37940c65d6eb867804/w/37d878fd02dc9e537e399972/e/2532eb32e49f33d7e990100b
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team