Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Borders on multiple sheets

john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,902 PRO
I may just be doing this wrong...

How do you change a border in a sheet after it is created?

When I add sheets to a drawing tab, it gives a minimalist title block.
Rather than the title block on the original sheet.

If there is no way to change a border after creation, let me know and I'll create a improvement request.

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    Thanks @konstantin_shiriazdanov

I've added a new request, even though it looks like they attempted this before...
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/6001/change-border/p1?new=1
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited March 2017
    Not sure if you can do this using Onshape but can export your dwt add your second sheet so it's the same as the first using draftsight or autocad then re-import to Onshape. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    Not sure if you can do this using Onshape but can export your dwt add your second so it's the same as the first using draftsight or autocad then re-import to Onshape. 
    What I'm saying is you cannot change the border of a drawing after creation. I'm talking 50 to 100 sheets also.

Say you detail they entire project, then your customer finally sends you their titleblocks after you're 90% done detailing.
    In any other CAD system you can just swap out the border, then shuffle views around (ALWAYS easier to do when it's still parametric).

In onshape you have to start from scratch, and you can't take advantage of multiple sheets.
    Which means updating / exporting / printing is one page at a time.
    Also if you know a way to export / print / update all the drawing tabs in a folder at the same. Please let me know.

As I mention on the improvement request link above. That happens to me on nearly every project. Because we sell our drawings (most of the time) and draw to our customers drafting standards. Some customers won't allow you to have any dimensions or geometry outside of a certain zone. Without the correct border inserted in the native CAD software. You are flying blind. When your company is "just in time delivery" you really can't wait for a border to start drafting.

I want OnShape to be successful, and I want to convert our company over to it. But until I can prove I can take a project from concept to delivery, all I can do is point these road blocks out and cross my fingers.

But like I said, I may just be missing something obvious somewhere.

-done ranting-
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited March 2017
    I don't think you missed anything, and I love your passion to get Onshape to the level it needs to be at. There definitely needs to be a better way to switch title blocks. I was just pointing out a workaround I used to get the title block and border on the second and subsequent sheets but this is not ideal. We need to be able to update title blocks to a newer version or completely different ones with ease.

On your multiple sheet drawings, this certainly has its place but also issues depending on why you are adding so many sheets. I do like the ease of just adding sheets to a drawing for all the individual parts after the main assembly, this groups them in 1 place and makes it easy to print all with 1 button or export to a single multi pdf doc but it can also be hard to reference individual pages using links or link part drawings in an ERP system.  I am wondering if maybe we could have some nice tools to handle printing and exporting of drawings which can group individual drawings together, ie. RMB on a folder containing drawings and print all or save all to single pdf. 

@pete_yodis what are your thoughts on this?

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    I don't think you missed anything, and I love your passion to get Onshape to the level it needs to be at. There definitely needs to be a better way to switch title blocks. I was just pointing out a workaround I used to get the title block and border on the second and subsequent sheets but this is not ideal. We need to be able to update title blocks to a newer version or completely different ones with ease.

On your multiple sheet drawings, this certainly has its place but also issues depending on why you are adding so many sheets. I do like the ease of just adding sheets to a drawing for all the individual parts after the main assembly, this groups them in 1 place and makes it easy to print all with 1 button or export to a single multi pdf doc but it can also be hard to reference individual pages using links or link part drawings in an ERP system.  I am wondering if maybe we could have some nice tools to handle printing and exporting of drawings which can group individual drawings together, ie. RMB on a folder containing drawings and print all or save all to single pdf. 

@pete_yodis what are your thoughts on this?

Yea I'm putting everything in multiple sheets, because It is what we do with SW. Because our company adds part quantities (multiplied by system quantities and sub assembly quantities..) and other mutable information on every page of the release package.

So back when we used Mechanical Desktop, we would have to edit the border in every drawing. When we went to SW it was a major deal to be able to edit all of that information in one place when using multi sheets.

I guess I'm still stuck in that procedure because it has been so good to me for so many years.
    But this is a new system... And I'm so happy with how well OnShape listens to everyone's opinions, and has followed through so neatly. Maybe we need to find a system that works best in this environment.

I was messing around with exporting to dwg. And multi-sheet tosses everything on one model space at the same border scale. So I'm not sure that will work for me either.

Oh well..

Maybe the answer is:
    1) Change borders on the fly. over multiple tabs simultaneously.
    2) Bulk print over multiple tabs simultaneously
    3) Bulk export over multiple tabs simultaneously (with the option to scale up the border and dimensions. So the MODEL is 1:1)

• Options
    PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 520
    @brucebartlett Yes,  I think there is very much a need to be able to swap the title block and the tolerance block in drawing.  In order to do that, these things must be entities that are stored somewhere and can be inserted based on where they are stored.  More work for us to do...
  • Options
    @PeteYodis Oh no! I marked you as not answerd instead of answered! Sorry small button on phone :(

• Options
    Gerard_BotermanGerard_Boterman Member Posts: 20
    Honestly Pete, this should be a priority. Creating proper drawing templates, moving title blocks, changing borders, batch update existing drawings (title blocks with company details and/or logos or title block layouts),and looking at issues above, it prevents us to convince companies to change to Onshape - Gerard
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,524 PRO
    @Gerard_Boterman
    This is an old thread... There is no "automated" way to switch tolerance blocks etc... But you can update the template of an existing drawing.

To update the sheet format:

To update default tolerances and other settings: