Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Feedback request on why you use onshape over traditional CAD packages

philip_prendevillephilip_prendeville Member Posts: 8 EDU
Hi all,

I'm doing a dissertation on Tailoring agile to Machine Building and in my discussion I'm mentioning Onshape as a possible alternative to traditional systems such as SolidWorks, Inventor etc. I have used both programs in the past but not for a long time. I've been out of the CAD game for maybe 8 years. Looking at what Onshape offers it seems to be at least worth trying out for a company who is already using a traditional system. 

So I'm looking for facts and figures to back up my points. In my own mind standout features include:
  • BOMs which do not need to be manually updated, i.e. they're linked to the file and update automatically and can be tailored to suit.
  • Works reasonably well on an iPad compared to any other package I've used. eDrawings is a disaster and Fusion 360 was not much better, 3D PDFs took forever to open also and caused the iPad to freeze and eventually shut down or become non-responsive.
  • Designers can work collaboratively with no need to worry about work being overwritten.
  • Users don't need a high-spec PC and customers can easily view ongoing work. 
Having mentioned the software to a few mechanical design engineers the main concern they have is the safety of their data. They all prefer to have it locally. My argument in return is that they are using a lot of cloud software already particularly with Microsoft packages and email and this is safe. 

If anyone is willing to give some feedback on their experiences using OnShape and why they consider it a better alternative locally installed CAD packages please write a few lines. 

Comments

• Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    For me the biggest advantage is not in the cloud based nature of OS or collaboration capabilities and multi-platform support (thou they are important) but in the ease of management of project structure and maintaining multiple branches of design. In traditional file-based CADs support for multiple implementation choices becomes a problem with file name conflicts, broken external links, renamed files and so on. OS just solves this generic problem of traditional cads.

• Options
    philip_prendevillephilip_prendeville Member Posts: 8 EDU
    Thanks Konstantin, really appreciate your feedback. I will be mentioning that also as I realise it's a key feature. Do you use the multiple branches much for iterative design? 
  • Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    @philip_prendeville of course, on the early stages of the project I often develop several layouts, examine their prospects from the point of view of weight, manufacturing techniques, functional parameters. The functionality of workspaces with merge ability is much better than multiple assembly files in different directories. Also the concept of immutability of external links which based on versioning system and part-studio contexts gives a big plus to the stability of design. Though I'm not a professional user of OS, for me looks very attractive to use it for my work.
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    +1 to all that

But as far as security. OnShape has everything on the cloud, on a system that ONLY handles OnShape... No email system attached to infect you with a virus.
    They manage backing up their (and your) data so you don't have to.
    This isn't some computer sitting in the closet next to the bathroom. This is a full on cloud data center, with armed guards and restricted access.

I'm Sure they are vulnerable to hacker attacks, but who isn't. Including google, or the government (I mean didn't Russia hack our election to put Trump in Office.. jus sayin). I would rather trust my data in the hands of a company that keeps up with penetration testing, and security, so I don't have to (God knows I wasn't anyways).

This isn't OnShape's server room, but rather one that just opened up near me.
    I mean who's guarding your server closet?

• Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    For me it was cost, and the ability for it to run on something other than a megabucks workstation.  With a pay as you go model it was possible to justify implementing at work for folks for whom CAD doesn't fall into there every day duties; to dip a toe in the water as it were.  20K for SW wouldn't even have made it to a proposal.

OwS.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited April 2017
    Great Comments so far and I would have to agree with all above. I know there are still some features missing but I find the usability exceed other CAD packages I have used, I crave Onshape when switching back to other systems.

The easy of access to data from any device is huge and means quick access without having to get back to your office to your CAD box. I had one example just the other day where I could use some screen shots from Onshape on my phone to resolve a customer query, then update the model with the some requested changes, later, I had to jump onto my to my laptop to export a dxf and update the drawing but hopefully that will be available on my phone soon. (Note improvement request for iOS, export face to dxf in dropbox or google drive).

Not sure if anyone mentioned scalability above but with the ease at which new users accounts can be added and use any quarter/half decent office computer means less stress adding extras to your team, this can always be scaled back when not required. You don't have to organise a special CAD computer, get software installed and updated, maintain a special network, rely on network administrator, etc. 

For implementation with BOM's, you would have to look at OpenBoM or the Google Sheets app, it's a great start but in my opinion, BOM's, Metadata, Part libraries are still a work in progress. 

Having CAD data in the cloud alway seem to be a sticking point for some, I think this is becoming less and less an argument as so much other data is already stored this way and positive outweigh any negatives. For me, it comes down to the trust of those holding your data and I have to say I have had no reason not to trust Onshape or the Amazon Web service in holding my data. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977