Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Thicken problem

alan_carlsonalan_carlson Member Posts: 9
edited April 2017 in Community Support
I am definitely a newbie. I was hoping someone could help me with the correct way to do this. I need this last thicken command to merge with the vertical sections. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d743c00c5d0280081c17a887/w/921af3b720571e9e23f39e84/e/2f5e608ccc1284e73359ec46

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    It would appear to be merged, did you find your problem?
  • Options
    Sorry, wrong terminology. It did merge into the part but I'm talking about the geometry. The thicken command makes the surface go straight out, normal to the face of the lofted surface. This leaves a gap on both ends. I'm trying to figure out how to get the edge of the cone to meet the edge of the outer wall (also the same on the top end).
  • Options
    Ok, Yea I was messing around with that too for a while..

Looks like you can't "Use" the thickened edges when looking at the part normal to the sketch plane.

I was trying to draw a filler triangle on the front plane, then revolve it, it works but you have to fake it by fully dimensioning the triangle filler with a little trig (or eyeball it if your evil >:) ).. But that would not update with the part parametrically, unless you set up some variables.. yadda yadda...

Honestly you may have to put in a ticket using the feedback tool. To let them know about this "bug / oversight". Not allowing the use of edges/verticies of the thickened face.

Sorry
  • Options
    Thanks for looking at it. Makes me feel better that someone with more experience is seeing the same issue. Although, I would have preferred that you had an easy fix for me, even if it made me look dumb ;) I'll play around with it more tomorrow.
  • Options
    leon_pootleon_poot Member, Developers Posts: 87 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017

I'd say Replace Face, and Delete Face on the overhang, results in the same thing as michal_1 does I think. Same for the top end.

Tip: Get your sketches fully defined. Some of your circular edges seem to be concentric, but aren't really. if this wasn't your intention, make sure you constrain things properly so you don't run into trouble later. Also, use the sketch function Use (project/convert) for referencing previous sketches or features.
    This would all be a lot easier using revolve.

@john_mcclary Use won't work, but Intersection does.
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
  • Options
    michał_1michał_1 Member, Developers Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Top end is more elaborated and I would consider different values for thickening and after my trick, offset the inner cone to desired value. 
  • Options
    @michal_1 blew my mind
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    The trickiest part of draftsman's craft is to find the right approach. Indeed in this example, it's possible to draw a single sketch and use five features, revolve, two extrude features and two circular patterns (maybe for clarity two sketches).
  • Options
    michał_1 said:
    The trickiest part of draftsman's craft is to find the right approach. Indeed in this example, it's possible to draw a single sketch and use five features, revolve, two extrude features and two circular patterns (maybe for clarity two sketches).
    Maybe one day I'll be half this good :smiley:
  • Options
    Honestly? Watch as many Onshape tutorials as you can. Start with these: https://www.onshape.com/learn/learn-cad
  • Options
    michał_1 said:
    Top end is more elaborated and I would consider different values for thickening and after my trick, offset the inner cone to desired value. 
    I couldn't get it to work on the top end so I just made the fitting a tad wider and it closed the gap just fine. 
  • Options
    NeilCooke said:
    All good tips, but this should really be built using a revolve.
    This is where my inexperience really shines (dims?). Namely, what entity to rotate and how to create it between different planes. I've still got some learning to do.
  • Options
    Thank you all so much for the insights! I've learned a lot just from this thread. I'll keep poking around in the tutorials and other help videos.