Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Extrude 'Did not regenerate properly'

nick_rossinick_rossi Member Posts: 5
Hi there,
I am modeling a part around the centerpoint of a circle, and it has been quite painful. I have 'posts' drawn up that need to be the same thickness as the outer ring, but when I try to extrude the sketch I get an error that it did not regenerate properly. The shapes don't seem to be closed now, but when I drew the first one, it extruded as it should have. Any insight would be much appreciated

I also notice there are multiple points around the centerpoint that I have been using as a reference that I cannot delete, which is quite annoying since I am using construction lines based off the centerpoint and I have to zoom all the way in to ensure I am snapping to the correct point.

Best Answer

Answers

• Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi Nick,

If you don't mind, it would be easier to help with your issue if you post the link to your document in this forum thread.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    In order to extrude the sketch, there has to be one or more closed regions - none of the profiles is closed (see images).

There is a cool trick for finding out where the opening is - simply keep diving the region in half with lines - one half will shade (closed), the other will remain unshaded - divide the unshaded region until you have found the junction that is open.

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • nick_rossinick_rossi Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the responses! I have got it squared away now. I figured that the shapes weren't closed but not sure if there was an easy way to fix. Both are good methods, the coincident method is more familiar as it is similar to the AutoCAD command. Cheers!
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Usually Onshape sketches are good to go using auto-constraints ie. snap to existing points. But fixing the gaps is problem when importing stuff, it would be nice if one could box select two or more points and hit coincident. It's very laborous to zoom in and select point by point.
    //rami
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,894 PRO
    3dcad said:
    Usually Onshape sketches are good to go using auto-constraints ie. snap to existing points. But fixing the gaps is problem when importing stuff, it would be nice if one could box select two or more points and hit coincident. It's very laborous to zoom in and select point by point.
    Well they sort-of have that functionality, They just need to recognize endpoints in window select. But that is not always desired :( maybe that would be a good place for "Hold shift while window selecting to include endpoints"

https://youtu.be/XzyLoIiuKew