Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

MOTM May 2017 - Discussion Thread

Ben_MisegadesBen_Misegades Member Posts: 133 ✭✭✭
edited May 2017 in General
This is the accompanying discussion thread for the May 2017 MOTM thread. Please keep any feedback, discussion, and questions related to the contest in this thread so that the contest thread will have only entries in it.

Last month's discussion thread had a lot of healthy conversation in it, I encourage a repeat performance!

The contest thread can be found here:

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/6383/motm-may-2017-contest-thread/p1?new=1

Comments

• Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Why not discuss on contest thread, it would keep it alive through the month? If you mark contest entries as answers system will keep them on top and discussion would follow below..
    //rami
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    Won't marking answers remove the un-answered status of the thread?

• Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Sure it will, but I suppose it would get more attention if it hangs on at least first page of the forum.. You can still answer and mark post as answers yet status is answered, so I don't see a problem with that..
    //rami
  • Options
    @3dcad yes, the discussion would keep the thread up top, but I was trying to avoid clutter. Let's see how it goes as is this month, and we can try something else again the next. I'm still trying to get Onshape to open up a section in the forums specifically for the contests, including "poll" functionality.
  • Options
    Are Gif's ok to showcase your model instead of screenshot?
  • Options
    Are Gif's ok to showcase your model instead of screenshot?
    I would say that that's ok. As long as it's something that gives forum goers a visual glimpse of your project or document before clicking on a link and opening a file, I don't think that it'd much matter if it's a static image or a gif.
  • Options
    Alright folks, @Rootentity is the winner for May. Very few submissions unfortunately, though those few were very high quality, I must say.

I'm hesitant to start another round, though, considering the participation rate. Thoughts?

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Congrats @Rootentity

4 or 5 entries aint all bad. Would be nice if there were 10 or so to look at each month.
    But what really gets me is the lack of voting. Nobody sees the post until someone posts a new entry, then you get another blitz of voting. It really needs to stay on top of the forums to hold the attention of voters.

It may come down to being a monthly contest. But only takes place in the last week of the month. Nobody posts a model until then. That way everyone has the same exposure to voters, and it should stay on the main page for at least that long.

Also maybe you should have a private entry. Where we submit to your profile our entry, then once you get 10 entries you make the post with all the entries, and the contests begins, and we can all use that same post to make comments. Rather than having 2 separate posts.
    So if there are not enough entries for a month, then forward the entries to next month's pool.
  • Options
    RootentityRootentity Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    First thank you, My name is Joshua Rideout, I tried to change it from the default but it used my email instead so I'll figure that out later, but I agree with everything john said above. The entries need to be all at the same time, I got mine in very early because I was already working on it, so I had a longer time to collect votes and views, and it really needs to be pinned to the top to get proper exposure.

Anyway I plan to use the gift card to convert a $50 clearance benchtop drillpress into a cnc mill. I will make sure to share that project on the forum.