Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Check accuracy of part made from Solidworks Import

3DMaker3DMaker Member Posts: 4
Hello,

I am transferring some files from solidworks into onshape. I am remaking each one completely in onshape so that I will be able to edit them in the future in onshape. This is due to the fact that solidworks files imported into onshape do not have the entire feature tree as solidworks (sketches, extrusions, etc.).

My question is: how can I check how accurately I replicated the parts? Is there some sort of layover or subtraction technique in onshape which would tell me the specific differences in the two parts?

Thanks!

Comments

• Jason_SJason_S Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 210
    You could
    1. Import the existing SolidWorks part
    2. Apply a Mate connector to face of the import and the newly modeled Onshape part
    3. Derive the SolidWorks part into a Part Studio, and do a Boolean-Subract and if there are no parts left over you have remade the part

Or if the parts have the same orientation relative to the origin:

I use OpPoint and evApproximateCentroid in a FeatureStudio to make a point where the centroid of the part is and double check that the centroids are in the same place with our Measure tool.

<br><div>FeatureScript 593;</div><div>import(path : "onshape/std/geometry.fs", version : "593.0");</div><div><br></div><div>annotation { "Feature Type Name" : "Centroid" }</div><div>export const myFeature = defineFeature(function(context is Context, id is Id, definition is map)</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; precondition</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; {</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; annotation { "Name" : "Centroid", "Filter" : EntityType.BODY, "MaxNumberOfPicks" : 10 }</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; definition.parts is Query;</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; }</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; {</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; opPoint(context, id + "point1", {</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; "point" : evApproximateCentroid(context, {</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; "entities" : definition.parts</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; })</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; });
    <span style="background-color: transparent; color: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-family: Flama, sans-serif;">});</span></div>

OR you can always open the mass properties of the part and check the volume and the surface area and compare them.

Good luck!

Jason
    Support & QA
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    The simplest way would be to load them both in an assembly or part studio. Then, take cross sections through both parts. The display list shows interferences in red. Look for areas not red. It's extremely fast as it's highlighting using webgl and not a server calculation.

then look at the volumes of each part.

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Is there any reason you are not just importing the parts and using the direct modelling tools to make adjustments? 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977