Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How do i show dimensions of part in order to manufacture this part?

mike_almogymike_almogy Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
Hi all.
I made a small part which is basically a ring with a pin hole in it.
My problem is that i want to print it (top view, left view and isometric) with the dimensions so the person who works on the lathe (turner?) will know what to do. 
Any idea?
Thanks,
Mike

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited April 2015
    The feature you are asking is drawings, they are not here yet - but should be soon.

What you can do is turn the model on screen in wanted position, RMB on sketch and click 'Show dimensions'. Then goto print from 'hamburger' menu and either print or RMB to save as image.

You would propably wan't to first hide reference planes and maybe choose view 'Hidden edges removed' (menu in smaller cube).

Hope this helps.
    //rami
  • Options
    Thanks for the response. It was helpful.
    I really hope that the drawing future will be added soon, for me it like basic thing to have since most of my work is made by hand with regular non-cnc lathe on so. 
    I will do some photo editing and i hope it will be fine. luckily it is not a complex part.

Thanks,
    Mike
  • Options
    cyclonewadecyclonewade OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 53 ✭✭✭
    imagine.create.deliver
  • Options
    cyclonewadecyclonewade OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 53 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the response. It was helpful.
    I really hope that the drawing future will be added soon, for me it like basic thing to have since most of my work is made by hand with regular non-cnc lathe on so. 
    I will do some photo editing and i hope it will be fine. luckily it is not a complex part.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Sometime soon we will log in and the drawings will be ready for us.
    imagine.create.deliver
  • Options
    ProApeProApe Member Posts: 52
    I also need to show the dimensions, but in the iso view, that means those of several sketches at a time, but I experienced that one can only show the dimensions of one sketch. Am I right?
  • Options
    ProApeProApe Member Posts: 52
    I just noticed that this discussion is from 2015, 8 years ago. The "drawings" were announced for soon in the last message, but they don't still exist or do they?
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,371
    Look in the + menu, bottom left. But non-standard iso dimensions are not supported https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/19088/dimensions-in-the-isometric-view
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    LOL i forgot that i wrote this post. Now if i want to do dimensions i use the draw with the iso/ansi settings. It sure would be nice to see that automated. I do not know how to do this professionally so adding a future that automate the drawing with all the necessary dimensions will be great. Hey you can add AI future to the app to get on the AI wagon. Im sure that your share holders will love it -)