Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Making a partial-depth slot around the surface of a cylinder

alan_buddenalan_budden Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
Given a cylinder (let's say 20 mm diameter), I would like to make a slot in this cylinder that is 3 mm diameter and goes 45 degrees around the outside of the cylinder, 0.5 mm deep.  This slot should match the result that would be obtained if the cylinder were placed in a rotary table on the milling machine, a 3 mm slot drill plunged 0.5 mm into the cylinder and then the cylinder rotated through 45 degrees.

I've tried a lot of different attempts at doing this, including:

* Create a plane tangential to the cylinder, create a sketch with a circle and then create a second sketch containing the 45 degree arc through which you want to sweep the sketch - I couldn't find a way to sweep it
* Create a plane tangential to the cylinder, create a sketch with a circle, extrude it and then try to stretch that object through 45 degrees - I couldn't find a way to stretch it
* Create a plane tangential to the cylinder, create a sketch and revolve it - the revolve wouldn't work
* Create two planes tangential to the cylinder, 45 degrees apart and two 3 mm circles - try to find a way to join them up!

Please can someone offer a method that would work for this?

Best Answer

Answers