Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

SolidWorks CSWA Exam using Onshape

frank26080115frank26080115 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
I just passed my CSWA exam. The questions were basically
  • here's the drawings for this shape, CAD it up and tell us how much it weighs
  • open this zip archive of parts, assemble it like this, what is the distance between these two points and what is the center of gravity
The exam software doesn't interact with the SolidWorks process at all. So this got me to think... What if people started to do the exam with Onshape? Poor people can put a nice certificate onto their resumes.

I figured out how to use the mass properties tool in Onshape but I can't figure out how to set densities. This is the only missing feature stopping me from using Onshape to pass the CSWA exam.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    +1 I hope too
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Onshape gives you the volume; multiply that by the density to give you the mass.
  • Options
    frank26080115frank26080115 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    Onshape gives you the volume; multiply that by the density to give you the mass.
    if a question involves finding the center of gravity of a multi-part assembly, and the different parts have different densities, then it would be very time consuming to calculate. The answers needs to be within two decimal places of accuracy in millimeters.
  • Options
    chris_mcandrewchris_mcandrew Member Posts: 3
    Frank and others,
    I know this is outdated but Onshape has added some features including the Mass properties. The limitation now is that they are not yet customizable, which is required for exact measurements. It's possible to select a similar material and then guess, or as others noted simply multiple the volume by the density. I've confirmed this works using one of the sample exams, and was able to get all of the answers done correctly. The model for it is now public and a quick write-up for modeling the part is posted here. The free access and public files are actually a great study tool for this, or simply for teaching best practices (which I did not use in the model) since it is so easy to share among users. Good luck.

• Options
    Felix_WesterinenFelix_Westerinen Member Posts: 2 EDU
    I took the CSWA with Onshape yesterday. It was really easy because you don't have to modify parts to get answers, only put them in assemblies.