Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Update to Beams Feature

NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,381
There is a new update to the Beams feature to fix some bugs and add more profiles. If you have already used version 2.0 of the Beams feature in your Documents, it is recommended that you DO NOT update those existing features to the latest version in case of feature failure.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/e15c2c668d138f01242d0c80/w/0664d65a957c7bfba7cfbddd/e/bd6831589391741e327fec75
Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI

Comments

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited October 2017
    Hi Neil. what do I have to do to get Australian/NZ Standard Rectangle and Square section in your beams 2 feature? It a big frustration that it does not have these available, the master feature script. Iso is close but doesn't include 65 & 75 and I think a few others. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO
    Hi Neil. what do I have to do to get Australian/NZ Standard Rectangle and Square section in your beams 2 feature? It a big frustration that it does not have these available, the master feature script. Iso is close but doesn't include 65 & 75 and I think a few others. 
    @brucebartlett you can make your own profiles.

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/6326/creating-beam-profiles

Once you get the hang of it it's really not hard. 

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Yes I know I can make my own, but I would find it better if they were on Neil's version. That way I direct people (Australian users) to use the latest Beam feature by Neil Cooke, and they get their AUS/NZ sections. I find I get lost with all the different versions of the beam feature in public docs. See the sections I want here which are slightly different to ISO, I am hoping someone may have already created these.
    http://www.surdexsteel.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Pipe-Tube-products-SHS-RHS-Technical.pdf

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    Hugh_GoodbodyHugh_Goodbody Member Posts: 39 PRO
    Hi Neil, would it be possible to add a weld gap option to the feature, or be able to offset the trim face, this would enable beam end plates to be inserted.
    Also, are there any plans for cut lists in the pipeline? If so do you know what the timeline is? I am still relying on Solidworks for detailing drawings of weldment drawings.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,381
    Hi @Hugh_Goodbody adding weld gaps would be fairly simple but perhaps not always reliable. Would work well with simple profiles for sure. It would also add gaps to every beam in the feature. Would you want to be able to select which beam ends were offset? Currently you can do this after the fact manually using offset face feature. 

With regards to cut list a colleague of mine was working on it but did not get it robust enough to release. I can check where he is with it, but I don’t expect anything soon. Please remember that these FeatureScript examples are just that, examples. 

At some point in the future this will be made into an official feature so please vote on the improvement request in the category on the right to prioritise it. Thanks. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    @NeilCooke - At the risk of repeating myself, this is one sweet FeatureScript and a very clear video on customizing it.  Thanks for creating both.