Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Complex surfaces

AgersensAgersens Member Posts: 10 PRO
edited July 2017 in Community Support
I am modelling an injection moulded part with lots of draft and some reasonably complex surfaces, but nothing over the top.. Model was getting very slow so I got it to a stage where I had all the outside surfaces as a solid model and could shell the part.
I thought to speed up the process I would export a step model and import it back into a new part to finish off the rest of the part. Dumb solid effectively
When I import the STEP model back into Onshape I can no longer shell it, even though I could before I exported the same geometry.
Frustrating!!!!!

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,419
    Hi @Agersens if you must do that use Parasolid. How many features are in the part? You could also derive it into another Part Studio or link it into another Document. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Hi Ageresens, I am hoping what @NeilCooke suggested has helped solve the shelling problem.

However, this shouldn't be an issue that you have to try and work around.  Have you logged it with the feedback tool?  I have experienced slow models in the past, sometimes it because they have got on a server in a different part of the world to where I am working.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977