Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Variable Draft and Fillet

roger_kumarroger_kumar Member Posts: 1
Will there be variable draft any time soon? A feature that Solidworks's never had it, most suitable for forging and casting.
Hope Onshape has variable draft as well as fillet in its arsenal in near future.

Comments

• cyclonewadecyclonewade OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 53 ✭✭✭
    @roger_kumar Disclaimer: I know nothing about forging or casting.  Is a variable draft where one can key in a draft value along a predescribed line at certain areas on that line?  Also, what do you consider a fillet?  Help educate me brother.
    imagine.create.deliver
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @roger_kumar I have added a ticket for variable radius fillet but for variable draft, are you after a parting line draft where the neutral plane is a  neutral line and the draft location if variable or do you want to add different draft angles to various faces from the same neutral plane?
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • PeterMPeterM Member Posts: 22 PRO
    Hi Onshape, I am designing a part for injection moulding and could really need a variable draft. Now that you are aquired by PTC, have a look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk79QoN5-Fs

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Hi @PeterM - I checked our improvement request database and I can't find an entry for variable draft, so please create a support ticket with your request. Realistically, since there is no entry then it is not on our radar and therefore will take a significant amount of time before it is implemented. I am not sure if Parasolid even has this capability, making it 10x more difficult. Just trying to set expectations.

In my experience, variable draft is mainly used on forgings where the top and bottom surfaces of the part are important and the draft faces are not as long as they meet at a mutual split line. This can be achieved using parting line draft on one side and loft on the other. If you have an example I can show you how.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI