Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

IGES lines only?

chris_167chris_167 Member Posts: 4
I'm trying to import an IGES that has only 1 dimensional lines and curves.  In the document window I can see that the lines are in the preview, but when I open the file there is nothing there.  Any ideas?
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @Chrisrh Are you looking at the Part Studio that came in?  What option did you use when you imported?  Did you use Flatten?  We only import solids and surfaces currently, no curves at this point.  What would you like to do with this import once you bring it in?  Possible use the lines and arcs to be recognized as sketches?  Let me know what workflows you are after so we can write up an improvement.  These are also best to report using the ? menu -> Feedback.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    chris_167chris_167 Member Posts: 4
    tried importing from the documents menu, and also into an assembly where I've tried with and without flatten.   Its possible that these files are in 3D space however, not just a 2D plane, they are just reference lines for me to build mechanism geometry from. 

I also work with point clouds, so I assume that won't work yet either?

• Options
    gmgm Member Posts: 2
    It doesn't seem to me that this one had ever been resolved? 

For myself, the benefit of being able to import lines as iges only is that I could bring data into the model which I have surveyed in the field. Knowing the origin point I translate my points and lines between systems... but then want to view them in the 3d data which helps with doing measures and showing others where there might be problems and such.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,379
    I think the main issue is that IGES is such an antiquated format that was actually "discontinued" at version 5.3 in about 1996 (I remember it well but I may be wrong so don't quote me). Your best bet is to use DXF for curve data and STEP for solid/surface data. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    NeilCooke said:
    I think the main issue is that IGES is such an antiquated format that was actually "discontinued" at version 5.3 in about 1996 (I remember it well but I may be wrong so don't quote me). Your best bet is to use DXF for curve data and STEP for solid/surface data. 
    I was surprised to see IGES in the discussion thread list myself. Back in the late 90's we called it "I guess" because if we needed a part file transferred from our Unigraphics system to manufacturing engineering for use in Applicon (anybody remember that?) or AutoCAD, it was a crap shoot if you would get want you wanted. It was like translation tool was saying, "I guess that's a line, I guess that's an arc."
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,379
    Applicon (anybody remember that?) 
    Ha! I used to work there! But, you're right, most people look at you with a blank stare when you mention the name ;)
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI