Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Working with meshes

billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
edited July 2017 in Using Onshape
A few months ago it was asked "Why do we need meshes?" and someone replied "To bring the world back into CAD".

OS is working really well with mesh data so here's a little example of working with mesh data & OS.

So I wanted to design a small motorcycle part hiding a seat latch. You can see the cover below located close to OS's origin and behind the meshed seat.

I have a structure scanner that fits onto an ipad. It's ok for larger objects and the accuracy is good enough to get an understanding of where things are.

link to scanner

I take multiple scans at different resolutions to capture geometry and definition. The trick is to line this mesh data up in OS. I'll illustrate these steps by positioning the rear tire.

Steps to line up mesh data:
-rotate mesh and align to OS's datums
-translate mesh

Tire mesh before adjustments:

It's not perfect, but it's good enough:

I also used pictures to help re-enforce where the world is inside OS. Showing build curves in OS:

Solid model of seat latch cover:

Once the design was complete, I printed it out and the 1st one fit like a glove.

1st printed cover fit on a BMW:

Comments

• Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited October 2017
    Adding some accents to the style and printed on HP fusion printer.

Took the lines from the gas tank and carried them through the rear seat cap:

Bought 2 sets: black, gray:

Thought the gray would match tank, but it just looks unfinished:

I think the black one looks better:

The new HP printed parts are really nice for larger parts. The material is strong & tuff making it a great material for motorcycle accessories. Each bracket was $62 bucks not bad for a part that won't break apart.

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Nice Work
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Sorry Billy, meant to say thanks for posting this last time but forgot.  Great insight into the methods used so thank-you!

Give it a few years and please can we have some scanning contact lenses that record meshes of anything we've ever looked at?

Cheers,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    Thanks guys, having fun....

• Options
    ricardo_chavarriaricardo_chavarria Member Posts: 7
    This is awesome! I'm using a 3D model of my truck to create a bed and roof rack. Seems like it worked perfectly for you!

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/9fa4ca4ecb8219d4fd898cd6/w/2bdb01ebbe3371a8b83a5ee8/e/af3c771119f8f539b6c44771
  • Options
    ricardo- awesome!

How'd you get your scan data? it looks great.

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Yes, that's an awesome scan @ricardo_chavarria. I love to know where you got it too. Looks like it's from a high-end scanner. A full collection of trucks like that would be handy. 

@billy2 I think I might get a scanner like yours, not much to lose. I am also wondering with the release of the iPhone X with face recognition whether it will also be able to do some simple scans. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    ricardo's scan & roof rack-