Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Trying to shell out a part.

wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 478 PRO
This part will not shell unless unless I reduce wall thickness to 10 thousandth I would like wall to be .125 of a in. How do i get the project on here?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Can you make your document public and post link?
    //rami
  • Options
     Sorry I didn't think before posting. Due to the nature of the project I can't make it public. I would be interested in some discussion, on what the shell command looks for. I have used it in the past, sometimes with no problems, other time I have had to go back and model again using a different workflow to get it to work. the problem is I am not always sure what I change to make it work, just that I change something.  
  • Options
    bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    Hey @wayne_sauder, if you file a feedback ticket in the document and select the 'share with support' box we can take a look at it and give you some insight.
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• Options
    Thank for the insight, I did do a support ticket for this particular project and got the help I needed on it. Still, appreciate the good info shared here   
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Shells worked well in CAD demos to amaze the audience. In practice, they do fail, and they're cpu intense.

I tend not to use them because of CPU time. I'll offset outer faces and build my own shell. The main reason is regeneration time on deep rebuilds, I don't want to wait. I have found that I'm better at shelling than the shell algorithms. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but its the truth.

Of course, yesterday I used a shell to get something done quickly. I was amazed it worked. In fact I'm always amazed when it works. It's fun to watch.

My point, as your geometry gets more complex, you might be better off building the shell yourself and subtracting it from your part. There will be a day when you might want to try this approach.