Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Changing a surface to a part

matthew_bilbymatthew_bilby Member Posts: 3
I've been making a model on Onshape and when it came to assembling the parts together I discovered that one of my intended parts was in fact a surface and I could therefore not add it to an assembly. Any way to change the surface into a part? 

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,354
    edited September 2017
    You can assemble a surface by selecting the surface icon in the insert dialog. Ideally it should be solid though (try using "enclose").
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • matthew_bilbymatthew_bilby Member Posts: 3
    Thank you. The assembly worked but now it's not producing the surface into the working drawings
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Drawings will not show surfaces. I looked for an improvement request for so you can vote but could find one. Maybe you should raise a new improvement request for this. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi @matthew_bilby ,

Can you make sure your document is public and post its URL here?  That way we can see if enclose, thicken, or some other feature would be best suited to change your surface to a solid.
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/enclose.htm
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/thicken.htm
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team