Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Treat partstudio as single part in assembly

Hi, I usually have to design a part studio containing various parts (A PCB for example).

In the part studio, they are all related to each other spatialy, so there is no problem, 
but when I export them to an assembly (For designing a case, holder, etc) they get all loose and messy.

I have to select them all to move them around or make the mates for each component of the PCB :(

Is there a way so I can export a full part studio to an assembly, mantain their relations (They all move together) without having to define the mate connectors explicitly?

I want it to be several parts to mantain the different appearances for each part (If I Join them, they merge in appearance as well).

Comments

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Just drop the complete part studio in an assembly and do a group mate. Group mate will lock all parts together relative to each other at that point in time. If you have more part to drop in latter, position the new parts in the assembly and lock them in by editing the original group mate. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I'd suggest you do like @brucebartlett described but also leave that assembly as sub-assy and create another main-assembly where you first insert that sub-assembly. If you need to lock whole group into place, use 'fix' on any part inside group and it will lock the whole group / subassy in place.

Another tip is to model static parts in place in part studio so it's easy to add parts into assy as you can just use their default position without additional mates.

//rami
  • Options
    baruc_almaguerbaruc_almaguer Member Posts: 2
    Thank you!
    I didn't knew there was a Group mate, it's exactly what I needed