Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Simultaneously Shared View

mike_dunhammike_dunham Member Posts: 5
Hello, I am new to Onshape and trying to quickly get up to speed. I offer contract CAD services and love the fact my clients can view and measure the work I do for them without me having to send them any files. However, I am hoping there is a way they can see what I am seeing at the same time. In other words; is there a way my client can sign in to Onshape, access the same document I am accessing and then see me manipulate the view, etc. while I do it? This would allow for a great "real-time" review while we talk over the phone!

Best Answers

• mike_dunhammike_dunham Member Posts: 5
    Answer ✓
    Hi Bruce and Thank You!

I'm very excited this works both ways and can see huge benefits taking turns back and forth with a few clients that have a lot to gain from detailed reviews and updates. I'll be trying this out tomorrow and will comment on how it goes. As an FYI, Alan is not a CAD user and is, therefore, not as savvy as some regarding computers but I'm sure he (and I) will get the hang of this. I'll let you know!

Thanks again,
    Mike

Answers

Thanks John that was a huge help and I'm happy to see Follow Mode delivers the functionality I was hoping for!

Great job and thanks for the quick reply. I do have one question. As the creator of the document, does my client see my social icon. I did do a quick test with a client this morning (his name is Alan) and I did see the purple A. I now know I can click on this A and follow him but... does he see a social icon (I assume M for Mike) that he can, in turn, click on and follow me?

Regards,
    Mike
    Answer ✓
    Hi Bruce and Thank You!

I'm very excited this works both ways and can see huge benefits taking turns back and forth with a few clients that have a lot to gain from detailed reviews and updates. I'll be trying this out tomorrow and will comment on how it goes. As an FYI, Alan is not a CAD user and is, therefore, not as savvy as some regarding computers but I'm sure he (and I) will get the hang of this. I'll let you know!

Thanks again,
    Mike

Hi Bruce,

I did a trail with my client this afternoon regarding Follow Mode. He was blown away! It went well and this feature alone will serve me and my client's well. I did try and edit a sketch while he was following me and (for some reason), I could not click on the dimensions and change it. Not sure if this is a limit to follow me but either way, having him see me manipulate the model in real time while we talk on the phone is very useful and very cool.

Thanks again,
    Mike
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    A current limitation of follow mode is that when the leader edits a sketch or a feature, the follower does not see the edits until those changes are committed (the green checkbox is clicked).
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I was about to mention another limitation about leader not knowing who is following, but that has changed! Great!
    Follower could have some additional indicator (red spot?) on their icon while active on follow-me.

For the follower it could be useful to have prompt: Do you wan't to leave follow mode?
    Not sure, could be irritating for power users - could have buttons ok, cancel, don't show for next 24hours
    This would be good for non-cad people who don't actively pick up all the signals (that green line on top) Onshape provides.

I would like to be able to request someone to follow me; this could have two functions:
    1. If collaborator is already logged in and viewing the document, popup window that [user1] has requested you to follow-me mode -- accept?
    2. If not logged in, send email with direct link to doc/tab and after loaded popup follow-me request

In both cases, send indicator to leader who is active on follow me mode.

We still rather use teamviewer since sketches are usually the most important part in collaboration as most of dimension live there.
    //rami
    I know Follow Mode does not let the person following see the one being followed edit a sketch during the editing but... (for some reason) I could not even edit the sketch (as the one being followed), i.e., I could not double click on a dimension and change it. I was able to activate the sketch but could do nothing more?? My internet speed is not always fast so perhaps that had something to do with it?