Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Latency

bill_danielsbill_daniels Member Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
I think I have discovered something important.  Comcast is sabotaging me!  I had cursed latency for a long time not knowing where the fault lay.  Now it seems, it's because my Internet connection drops out for a few seconds several times a minute - sometimes longer.  If the dropout is long enough, I get assigned a new IP address which causes a number of different programs, including Onshape, to require a new log-in.  The connection is so bad, it's hard to get a complete speed-test at DSL Reports.

I called Comcast customer support and got the usual runaround.  "It's the customer's fault, of course."  " For a fee, we can send out a tech to poke around your equipment to tell you what you are doing wrong."  "BTW, can we sell you upgraded TV?"  Aaagh!

So, what can I do?  The $150 IQ Router claims to constantly reconfigure itself to circumvent at least some cable issues.  More importantly, it logs every event related to the connection.  I'm told the logs, at least in some cases, can convince Concast to repair/upgrade their lines.  I think I'll give it a try.

Comments

• Options
    john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 360
    Hi Bill. I would take your computer and plug the ethernet cable directly into the Comcast modem. If you are still getting connection drops, I would call up Comcast and start yelling. If not, you should look at re-configuring or replacing the IQ router.

-John
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.
  • Options
    Actually, I do have the Ethernet cable plugged into a Comcast provided leased modem.  I don't have a home network.  I have swapped out the coax from the wall junction box to the router/modem and the Ethernet cable to the computer with no effect so I don't think it's my "connections" as Comcast suggests.

I'm just thinking of replacing the leased modem with a new IQRouter which is a one year payback.  Comcast basically said that if I can't prove it's their fault, then it's my fault.  I think the IQRouter logs may be the only way I can get proof.
  • Options
    I'm wearing my "Onshape ambassador" hat, so I won't describe what I think about Comcast customer support, but it's on them to provide a good quality internet connection up through the ethernet port on their modem. If that's not the case then I would tell them to get out there and fix their service / lines / modem.
  • Options
    It now appears the real problem isn't physical network connection quality - it's bufferfloat.  Even on quiet Saturday mornings like this, bufferfloat (latency) runs between 1.5 and 3.3 seconds with random dropouts.  If the problem is not in the modem/router, then it's much further back up the network chain.  There is reason to believe the Comcast Router is set to drop the connection when bufferfloat gets too large to protect overall network performance.  The IQRouter (On order) is claimed to reconfigure itself to compensate for bufferfloat.

There's more on the IQRouter.  A friend is a Tele-radiologist who works from a home office.  His company provides IQRouters because they are specifically designed to handle extremely large graphics files such as x-rays.  I wonder if that works with Onshape files.

• Options
    Comcast changed their position.  They agree dropouts are happening and it is probably caused by both a bad "node" and a bad modem but they now want me to pay $70 to fix what is almost certainly their problem.  The local tech community is buzzing with a rumor that Google Fiber is going to announce something soon.  I sure hope so.
  • Options
    OK, I gave in and scheduled a tech visit hoping I cold argue my way out of the $70 charge - it worked.  The Comcast tech found multiple examples of poor cabling between the drop box and my wall junction.  It took him two hours to fix problems on their side of the wall.  He promised my modem/router would be "flashed" to improves service further but I opted instead to buy an Arris Surfboard DOCIS 3.1 modem.  Net result is 65MBs down and 6.5MBs up with no dropouts so far, but bufferfloat was unchanged at 1.5 - 3 seconds.  I understand bufferfloat is a problem across the Web and what I am seeing is the sum of many delays between Onshape servers and my desktop.  Something really needs to be done about bufferfloat.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,391
    Hi @bill_daniels i think you will always be at the mercy of your cable provider. I consistently get < 10ms at home which is the most important factor when running Onshape as opposed to bandwidth. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Neil, I understand it's not Onshape's fault - it's the fault of the cable company and all the relay points between me and the nearest server.  Despite the service call and the new modem, this morning I can't stay connected long enough to do a speed test.

Is there an Onshape server in Denver - if not, is there any hope of one?
  • Options
    Hi Bill. Your nearest Onshape server is in Portland, OR. Onshape headquarters is located in Boston and we use the same Portland servers every day without any problem. It's not your distance to our servers that's the issue.

Sorry for all the frustration. Keep working with your ISP to get this resolved.

-John
  • Options
    Final update.

I pushed on with another complaint to Comcast and their response was typical.  "We'll 'roll a truck' to see what's wrong with your equipment - that'll be $70."  I refused the "truck" so the customer service person tried pushing TV service.  I gave up and called Arris to see if it was something with the modem.

The Arris rep was refreshingly knowledgeable and helpful.  He quickly checked modem settings and said that appeared Comcast was 'inhibiting' access to faster channels.  He said he thought he could fix that by changing modem settings.  In a minute or so he said, "Try that".  The connection was noticeably better - so far-so good.  He suggested checking back periodically to see if Comcast switched their 'channel inhibition' around.