Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Sheet metal, how could I change bend lines to perforations

jim_24jim_24 OS Professional Posts: 2 PRO
edited October 2017 in Community Support
The scenario is that some of the sheet metal parts I'm working with can't be bent by machine, and occasionally need to be changed to perforated lines for hand bending. It might be the case that say, only 2 of 7 bends in a model will need this to happen. What is the easiest way to try and do this? I could export the flat pattern drawing, and redrawing onto it, but is there another way?  I can't for instance flatten a bend of a flange(won't allow 0 degrees) and then finish the model for this, and I'm not sure I can finish sheet metal and then extrude cut perforations into the bend and have it be correct on the flat pattern for the laser. Anyone have any ideas how to best do this?

Thanks in advance,

Jim  

Answers

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @ilya_baran - is this what you fixed for Owen?
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,178
    Not quite -- I think I wrote a custom feature that just removed the bend lines in a derived part studio.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited October 2017
    @ilya_baran - is this what you fixed for Owen?
    If we're taking the same thread that was @john_mcclary ;) 
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited October 2017
    You could do an extrude cut and remove the complete fold radius at the areas you want the perforation, to control the width of the perforation adjust the fold radius before doing the cut. Not ideal but should work. 

I try to avoid finishing sheet metal parts, whenever I do I seem to always add holes or cuts later and not realizing there has been a finish feature. 

I'd be keen in the future to have the ability to sketch and cut in the flat pattern viewport.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @owen_sparks - ah yes, you're right, it was for John :)

Philip Thomas - Onshape