Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Plane axis tilt

tj_thornileytj_thorniley Member Posts: 65
How can i tilt the axis of a plane? I want to sketch on, and extrude from slanted surface.
See how it's not lining up?

Best Answer

• Options
    Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Select the slanted line then use "line angle" when creating a plane and set the degrees to 90.

Answers

• Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not clear what you're trying to do. "See how it's not lining up"? No I don't see because I'm not sure what you are trying to align. Remember, you can sketch on any flat surface. So if the surface you're trying to align to already exists, just sketch on that surface. If you need to create a new sketch plane, you can create a plane that is oriented how you want by using reference geometry. For example, create a plane that is parallel or perpendicular to a line or edge at a particular point. I hope that helps.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    @mahir Hey. Sorry, I thought it was more obvious from the pictures. See the high-lighted (orange) face; how the sides are slanted? 

And see how I tried to add an extension on the lefthand side; but it extrudes perfectly vertical instead of matching the profile of the sketch surface?

The top and bottom extrudes worked nicely, but not the sides. Here, I've circled it in red:

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,399
    You could use the side face as your sketch plane
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Select the slanted line then use "line angle" when creating a plane and set the degrees to 90.
  • Options
    @NeilCooke That was my second instinct, but it was problematic. Hard to explain. I'll try to upload some pictures to show you what I mean.
  • Options
    @Tony_C_ You're the man. Thats what I was looking for.
    Actually, in this instance I had to set the angle to 105º to remain flush with the tangent surfaces.