Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Why do sketches not paste in to the same cords when copied?

Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO
Is there a reason when I copy a sketch to paste it into a new on that it doesn't retain its origin? 

I always have to realign them.  Seems it would be much faster and easier if they dropped exactly where they were copied from.
Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO
    My sketching isn't working like that.  I did the same steps and when I paste onto the new plane the new sketch is shifted. 
    I think your example is working because you're picking the circle whose center is already the origin. Try coping and pasting all three shapes and see what happens. 
    I think when you just paste a sketch (from copied entities while not editing a sketch) onto a plane, OS is finding the center of that sketch and placing that center on the origin.
  • bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    Ahh, I think you are right. Let me dig into this further. Can you also fill out a feedback ticket on your end?
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

@bradley_sauln

I submitted a feed back ticket. 

There's also some info in the comments as to how I pasted each sketch.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/09c7422dd39727502ecb2251/w/46f9efadf6299bff5526d7da/e/7478b3c19607119a63f860b3
  • michael_watsonmichael_watson Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    @Tony_C_ Some additional notes from my digging:

When you paste into a sketch that isn't active, the pasted entities get roughly centered on the origin. This is difficult to do that since the 2D reference to the origin doesn't carry through.

When you paste into an active sketch, they go roughly where your mouse is.
    Can this behavior be changed? I have been annoyed by this "feature" as well to the point of wondering what's the point of pasting sketches. Seems like the default should place the sketch exactly to the same relation to the origin on the new sketch plane as from the the sketch plane it was copied.
  • jayden_lawsonjayden_lawson Member Posts: 3 EDU
    Agreed with Michael. Part of the reason for copying/pasting things is to align them. And since there's no simple and obvious way to align things, if you paste in the same place as the original, at least you can then use the transform tool to move the pasted thing along one axis, so it stays aligned in the other axes. As a new user, it strikes me as very odd that this simple method has not been used.  Same with no simple alignment tools.