Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.
First time visiting? Here are some places to start:- Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
- Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
- Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
- Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.
If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.
Single STL for an assembly
kirk_2
Member Posts: 34 ✭
Not sure how to do this in SW or if possible in OS.
I have an assembly that I created in SW from 3 separate parts (same material) that I now want to machine as a single part. How can I generate a single STL file that encodes everything but the coincident surfaces? I suspect that in SW I will need to cut paste features from one part into the base part and change the initial extrusion plane to be a face of the base part.
I have an assembly that I created in SW from 3 separate parts (same material) that I now want to machine as a single part. How can I generate a single STL file that encodes everything but the coincident surfaces? I suspect that in SW I will need to cut paste features from one part into the base part and change the initial extrusion plane to be a face of the base part.
0
Answers
-
@kirk in Onshape you could export the assembly out as an XT, import with flatten into one part studio and then boolean them together as one then export out as stl.Lou Gallo
Sr. Director of Product Definition. UX and Support0 -
With some searching of the help system, I get it all except the reference to 'XT'0
-
I imported the SW assembly I was testing with and flattened it into part studio 'link2' in https://cad.onshape.com/documents/a98d481268ea4524a7769731/w/29dc720a55c049d4ba823b8a/e/a1364313ec504bf6bb477dac
There are three mated parts, but the Boolean op fails to join them.0 -

