Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Sectioning in Assembly Mode for Mating Assembly Components Exercise

patrick_anthonypatrick_anthony Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
I am stuck at Slide 18 of 20; in the Mating Assembly Components.

There has been no guidance on using the Section Tool, specifically for the GRIP in Assembly. I have figured out how to make Sectioning work in the PARTs section; but that doesn't seem to help in this case.

I do not know how to select the GRIP point, before selecting the 'Turn Section On'. The Lessons up to this point have not shown Sectioning with that tool in the Part or Assembly areas.

Please help me with the steps for Sectioning in the Assembly Area; of better still provide a Learning Link for the Sectioning Process.

The following LINK was captured from the Lesson Screen, at Step 18 of 20 .... 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/4a8c5ac25193eddaf18734dd/w/9d08f5392a0793bb41874483/e/0412b711a7f8445687011331

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @patrick_anthony

It may help if you post a screenshot of the slide itself to see what instruction you are referring to.  I suspect that the instruction just wants you to click somewhere in the assembly, click the view menu (the box under the view cube), and click 'Turn section view on'.

Sometimes manipulators are referred to as grips, so the instruction is probably referring to the triad manipulator (it may want you to grab the center point of the manipulator and move it to the geometry you want to section) or the linear manipulator you get once you turn the section view on.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    Grip refers to the Compondent 'Grip'; the last one that I need to attach to the object's handle.

How OnShape has implemented Sectioning in Assembly seems to have changed from the Lesson Authoring. I am not sure how to add screen shots to my query; but I do see that the link I attached ends in a sign-in dead end
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,399
    The answer is on slide 17:

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    I finally got it ..... 
    My mental road block I had nothing to do with knowing where to turn Sectioning ON item was, in the CUBE menu. It was knowing what to do next.  There is an obvious gap in the Lesson material on this topic, created since the material was authored.

Hunting around for something on the "Component's GRIP" to trigger a response, after turning Sectioning was ON, did the trick. Then I figured out how to get to the Section Level I needed, to place the Mate Connector between the part walls. From there it was easy.

I think the guidance that send me down the wrong road was that in the 'Parts Studio' you select a plane first, then Turn On Sectioning. But the process is quite different in the Assembly side of things; with the Sectioning Turned on FIRST. I found quite a few YouTube videos of folks similarly lost, over past years; which help me find my way to a solution. From the videos I could see that the Sectioning Interface has changed over the last few years. I guess time based disconnects are part of the price for using the free lessons.

Thx for all your support ..... every little bit helped to pave my way to a "You Are Correct" conclusion for that Lesson section.
    Now on to another ..... 
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,399
    @patrick_anthony you rejected my answer, but Slide 17 clearly says turn on sectioning then select a planar face.

Anyway, the training material is very up to date. You can select a planar face before or after turning on sectioning. 

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Hello Neil,

No disrespect, but your answer told me something that I already knew; so did not resolve my misunderstanding..... just my 'No' to the feedback question, explicitly.

What I was struggling with was how to select (or even find) the planar face.

In the Parts Studio the x, y, z planes are easy to find; while in Assembly all you get is Origin; which lead to my further confusion.

I am very new to CAD so what might be obvious to you, is not to learners. It was the following Form Discussion that finally helped get the 'light bulb on', as to my problem. The dialogue was very much similar to my learning path & misunderstandings.

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/2261/assembly-section-view

Thx for your patience.