Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Assembly rotation question. How to stop motion when two pieces hit?

len_2len_2 Member Posts: 8
I have an assembly with what I'll call a swinging arm. It rotates about a point at one end. I want to stop the arm's swing when it contacts a pin, but right now the the arm just passes through the pin and and can swing 360 degrees. How do I make the pin block arm rotation in the assembly?

Answers

• andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given that OnS is an immature product, still in beta at the actual moment, which does not yet boast limit mates, the best you can currently do * is to set up two mates which stop the mechanism where the arm reaches its physical limits.

Suppress one or other to simulate the arm stationary at  each of those limits, or suppress both to revert to free swinging with no limits.

Limit mates are quite high on the list of priorities, and my guess is they will most likely be implemented before public launch, because they are almost indispensable to mechanism design.

* AFAIK - I would be delighted to be introduced to a better workaround
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The other possible solution is physics (parts of mechanisms which interact realistically). Given that physics engines are available "off the shelf", and have a very simple user interface, I guess it's conceivable such a capability could be incorporated ahead of the less glitzy, but (at least in the past) generally more useful limit mates.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @Len there are no mate stops yet. Hopefully we see this given time.

What you do have is a reset on the revolute mate - RMB on the mate in the tree and click reset, this quite handy to re-position part back to default position. If you want to change the default position you can and rotate the mate connector. 

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • len_2len_2 Member Posts: 8
    One again, thanks for the very prompt response. This limitation is not a show-stopper for me right now. I just assumed I was missing something.
  • TamuTamu Member Posts: 1 EDU
    Do you guys now if they added a feature for this problem? 
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Tamu said:
    Do you guys now if they added a feature for this problem? 
    Yes, you can limit the travel of individual mates.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI