Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Problems in Chrome

bill_danielsbill_daniels Member Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
I don't think this is an issue with OH because the problem is restricted to the Chrome browser.  OS on FireFox works fine.

The problem is with selecting a part or surface with the mouse.  Moving the cursor over an object simply does nothing nor does left clicking.  This makes it impossible to use the toolbar.

However, left-clicking a tab does open it and holding the right mouse button allows the cursor to move the object on screen as expected.  The mouse cursor works as expected everywhere except in the workspace.  The systems check reports all is well with Chrome.

I have tried re-installing Chrome and drivers with no effect.  Until this is resolved, I will have to work in FireFox.

I'm really asking about Chrome.  Anyone have a thought?

p.s I'm running ubuntu 16.04 LInux on an HP workstation with an Nvidia 1050 video card.  The operating system and drivers are all up to date.

Comments

• Options
    Paul_J_PremakumarPaul_J_Premakumar Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 197
    edited February 2018
    Hello Bill,

Sorry to hear you are having issues on Chrome A few questions :
     1. What version of Chrome are you on? If not the latest, can you try the latest version.
     2. Does Onshape work if you use Incognito mode?
     3. Do you have any extensions installed with Chrome? If yes, try disabling them.

Paul
  • Options
    1. The latest version.
    2. Haven't tried that.
    3. No extensions installed. (I use Chrome exclusively for Onshape,)
  • Options
    Same problem with incognito mode.
  • Options
    I tried removing then re-installing Chrome to no effect.  I also checked about a dozen other web sites with Chrome and all work fine. As far as I can determine, the problem is restricted to Onshape on Chrome.
  • Options
    jonathan_binneyjonathan_binney Member, Developers Posts: 5 PRO
    I'm having the same problem in chrome version 64.0.3282.119 running on Ubuntu 16.04. This started happening to me a week or two ago, and everything works fine in firefox, so maybe a new version of chrome broke something?
  • Options
    Just tired launching with an empty user data directory "google-chrome --user-data-dir=/tmp/gc" to make sure i have absolutely no plugins running, and get the same problem.
  • Options
    Not sure if it is related, but when I run chrome from the command line I get a bunch of webgl errors:

```
    [853:853:0208/224526.064714:ERROR:gles2_cmd_decoder.cc(10008)] [.DisplayCompositor-0x13e6fc047200]RENDER WARNING: texture bound to texture unit 0 is not renderable. It maybe non-power-of-2 and have incompatible texture filtering.
    [853:853:0208/224526.064783:ERROR:gles2_cmd_decoder.cc(10008)] [.DisplayCompositor-0x13e6fc047200]RENDER WARNING: texture bound to texture unit 0 is not renderable. It maybe non-power-of-2 and have incompatible texture filtering.
    ```

• Options
    Also tried with the current beta version of chrome  65.0.3325.51 ; same problem
  • Options
    jbbiomedjbbiomed Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    This problem affects me too. Ubuntu 17.10, Nvidia drivers (390). Problem occurs even when no extensions are enabled or in incognito mode. Firefox works fine. Everything is up to date. (Chrome ver 64.0.3282.140)
  • Options
    This problem affects me too. Ubuntu 17.10, Nvidia drivers (390). Problem occurs even when no extensions are enabled or in incognito mode. Firefox works fine. Everything is up to date. (Chrome ver 64.0.3282.140)
  • Options
    Paul_J_PremakumarPaul_J_Premakumar Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 197
    I found a report with the similar error on the Chrome browser issue tracker : https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=808789 . Please report your cases to them as well. In the meantime using Firefox would be the suggested workaround.
  • Options
    Ah, thanks @Paul_J_Premakumar ! From that chromium issue, it actually sounds like this is an nvidia driver bug, and chrome is just giving up when the nvidia driver crashes a bunch. I downgraded from nvidia-390 to nvidia-384, and now onshaoe works for me in chrome. @jbbiomed can you try that?
  • Options
    Excellent find! Its working again after downgrading to nvidia-387
  • Options
    martin_fikejzmartin_fikejz Member Posts: 2
    This issue started with the version 390 of Nvidia drivers. See here: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1029484/linux/-various-all-distros-numerous-performance-amp-rendering-issues-on-390-25/.

As a workaround, you can try to launch Chrome with the --no-sandbox option.
  • Options
    EvanEvan Onshape Employees Posts: 62
    Here is the relevant bug logged with Chrome:  https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=817400 

You can "star" the issue to receive updates on Chrome and NVIDIA's progress with resolving the issue.

If you are experiencing the issue, we recommend either downgrading your drivers or using Firefox in the meantime.  Using the "--no-sandbox" option is discouraged because it compromises Chrome's security.