Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Best practices for in-context editing?

Working on the following:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/3091571674f76746f9d3e18e/w/7aab4f6a71fd7f65dc55d9f5/e/d793696e944278174df72160

My workflow for this project was as follows:

1. Place all known sub-assemblies, and pre-existing parts (e.g. Servos, Switches, Battery Pack, etc)  into an assembly. 
2. Orient above parts to desired position because of known intent. 
3. Use generate a new part studio in-context of the above main assembly. 
4. Utilize above created part studio as a multi-part studio to make the laser-cut frame, brackets, and other remaining parts etc...
5. Insert new parts from single multipart studio into main assembly. 

While this workflow worked really well in many regards... I don't think I am fully understanding an appropriate workflow with in-context edits when trying to utilize a single parent multi-part part studio.

The major issue being how to insert parts into the assembly after creation. Sometimes I didn't need to create multiple contexts to build the next part, but the dialogue for "insert part and goto assembly" dissapears. Then I had to manually position with mate connectors etc in the assembly. Is it possible to get back to that dialogue somehow? And out of my own confusion I would break my own workflow and create a random single part studio to avoid having to manually insert and mate in the assembly. 

I'm sure my headaches are coming from some bad practices i'm doing that I haven't identified yet. 

In context editing is amazing... But my small brain is still trying to wrap my head around using it with a multi-part studio for the best of both worlds. Especially in my case where many of the frame pieces utilized a feature script for auto generating mating tabs for laser-cut parts and would not work unless both parts were in the same part studio. 

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    KatieHuffmanKatieHuffman Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 194
    edited February 2018
    @andrew_jorgensen202,

Check out these two courses in the Learning Center:
    Onshape provides two different workflows to achieve geometric or spatial relationships between parts (top-down design): multipart Part Studios and Managed In-Context Design.

Multipart Part Studios allow you to achieve top-down design all within one Part Studio. Managed In-Context design allows you to achieve top-down design between parts in an assembly. This is especially useful in the part's position is important for the in-context reference, or the parts needing geometric references between one another are in different Part Studios.

Check out the above courses to learn more! Also take a look at our instructor-led course on Top-Down Design Techniques.
  • Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    @billy2 Great tip on opening the part studio with assembly ghosted.  You are correct that helps me get my head around in-context a little better.  I personally do not need many parts in assembly but that is needed by our fixture designers.  Your article will help me show them the advantages of OS vs SW.
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited March 2018
    @bruce_williams I'm glad you found it helpful. I too am trying to figure this all out. I'm currently working on moving things in and out of documents controlling release states and it's working really well. It's crazy, but it works great.

I've always been a big advocate for project structure and trying to get everyone on the same design page. Turns out OS has a lot more capability than other CAD systems and laying out the structure, although fun, is more arduous just because it's more powerful. Getting rid of file references and dealing with a fat table, OMG, structures in OS are more refined, sophisticated and powerful. It's going to get interesting.

I think project structure in parametric CAD is going to become front and center for most organizations as it gets more powerful & robust. Having everyone on the same page will become more critical as we implement these new tools.

I don't see this as a bad thing because it is more difficult, but, we finally have the document controls we've always wanted.

I'm interested in seeing your project structure if you want to share. billc@rndengineering.com

• Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited March 2018
    @bruce_williams Another thought, I do use in-context on smaller projects. 

In my case, I have in-context manage mounting conditions for motors, cylinders & fixtures. I tend to design using datums and controlling the function of a mechanism. When adding components to the assembly I mate to the functioning axis of a motor, servo, cylinder and then let the in-context arrange the mounting brackets and mounting holes for me. I don't mount motors to mounting holes, I let the CAD do that. This way is a very fast way to design equipment. It's top down. Not bottom up. It's powerful.

With this backwards design structure, I can change the function of the equipment and have all the brackets/mountings update. It's rare that my prototypes have holes in the wrong location when building the 1st article. I can burn through several concepts while the bottom up guy barely finishes one iteration. It's good that your fixture designers want to do this. I'd try to get them to standardize your design pattern (project structure) picking the best ideas from all of them and writing them down. I've tested engineers before allowing them to work on a project making sure they get the project structure. Maybe I'm an asshole.

A well defined project structure allows rapid development of automated equipment, fixtures and other mechanisms.

I still struggle with making this structure transparent, understandable and obvious for the next guy. I'm hung up on this next guy concept worried that engineers get the design intent. I feel we have a lot of work to do in this arena making our design patterns better understood.

• Options
    lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 697
    @billy2 Have you tried using comments to document the key design intent decisions?
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    @lana Project structures are pretty high level concepts. Before CAD, we used drawing trees to break down a project and spent hours keeping it up to date. Then CAD came along, what happen?, were'd the structure go?

I love comments, use them a lot. It's great to see the guys come online in the morning. I'm usually the 1st one in and change everyone's stuff before they arrive. I do use branching so they can elect to merge my suggestions. I'm trying not to be an asshole. We're designing and reviewing in less than a day. You can't beat that.

Comments work great on the day to day stuff. In fact I use words like 'revolutionary' as opposed to just good or great to describe commenting/collaboration.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    @billy2
    It is great to hear that Onshape comments and collaboration answer your day-to-day needs. In fact, it is most gratifying to hear that :smile: .
    I'd like to pursue the topic of documenting the project structure a little further.  If we give you a tool to visualize the dependency graph of the document(project) would it help?  You probably would want to attach comments to edges and vertices of that graph. What other tools could help?
  • Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    @billy2

This is getting very interesting.  I shared a couple docs with you privately (although now thinking about it I will just make them public).  We have long used SW and not done any structure outside of each project.  I am excited to consider structure across projects for common parts, boiler-plate designs, standard & purchased parts, etc.  I like your example of making change suggestions on a branch.  Wow!  
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    Thanks Bruce, got your invite, will review, let's discuss.

My guys know to version before they leave, because they know what'll happen in the am. Me branching is a nice gesture and after all I like to let engineers be engineers offering only suggestions. Branching allow them to remain in power which is important to me.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    @lana- it's huge and I was thinking of building a dependency graph myself. With your new added doc control capabilities, I think it's going to be necessary to have for people to understand what's going on. The world isn't parts, assy & drawings any more.......

If you have early visibility, I'd like to see it.

• Options
    @billy This is sketching on the napkin stage, but we'll definitely want your feedback when we have something to show.