Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

reference geometry

gal_razgal_raz Member, Mentor Posts: 39 ✭✭
on sketch mode, you can not refer to geometry that is not on the working plane. The USE command is just a work around similar to what you have at Inventor. I prefer the SW approach
Gal Raz

Comments

• Options
    paul_chastellpaul_chastell Onshape Employees Posts: 124
    In sketch mode you can select model edges, regardless of whether they are on the sketch plane or not, and constrain sketch geometry to them. It effectively applies the constraint to the projection of the model edge into the sketch.

What we don't do is to automatically infer to geometry that is not on the sketch plane, inferences (snaps) are limited to geometry in the sketch and the face being sketched on. Is it snapping to off-plane geometry that you are missing?
    Paul Chastell
    TVP, Onshape R&D
  • Options
    gal_razgal_raz Member, Mentor Posts: 39 ✭✭
    Yes. With snapping to off-plane geometry the works is done much faster
    Gal Raz
  • Options
    giacomo_ardesigiacomo_ardesi Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    ...like projecting planes and axis on sketch. No way to do it, it seems.
  • Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    There is no way to project planes into a sketch, but you can directly reference/constrain to them.  What would you like to happen by projecting planes into a sketch?
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
    giacomo_ardesigiacomo_ardesi Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    jramlsey said:
    There is no way to project planes into a sketch, but you can directly reference/constrain to them.  What would you like to happen by projecting planes into a sketch?
    ability to constrain parametrically the sketch to those projected elements...but maybe it's just a habit form using Inventor for years...
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited March 2015
    I'm missing built-in x, y and z reference axis in addition to default planes. I would use these for revolving and direction for patterns. And I would also like to automatically set view normal to sketch plane when selecting plane (this should go to setting as it surely divides opinions).
    //rami
  • Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    3dcad said:
    I'm missing built-in x, y and z reference axis in addition to default planes. I would use these for revolving and direction for patterns. And I would also like to automatically set view normal to sketch plane when selecting plane (this should go to setting as it surely divides opinions).
    The normals of the planes can already be used for directions for patterns.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    jramlsey said:
    The normals of the planes can already be used for directions for patterns.
    Yes, I was aware of this. I would like to see dropdown menu or radio buttons for choosing axis (or plane normal) as direction - not needing to zoom back to see planes or scrolling up the feature tree to see default geometry.
    //rami
  • Options
    kirk_2kirk_2 Member Posts: 34
    Is it necessary to sketch a line to be used as a revolve axis?  Based on the comment above I tried a revolve clicking on planes but found nothing that worked.
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,015 PRO
    3dcad give'm hell man. Seems like directions should be abstracted out into it's on class so everything inherits a consistent behavior. It drives me crazy in SW that depending on the function I'm in, I have a different set of direction capabilities. OS, please figure'm all out, or a good set of them, encapsulate them and inherit from this class and please keep it consistent.

Also, negative numbers, please change the magnitude. Sometimes it works others times it doesn't. Consistency please.