Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Transforming derived sketches

edgerunneredgerunner Member Posts: 9 EDU
I'd like to align an derived sketch to the part in a PS. Is there a way to do it? It can be done easily with derived parts but not sketches.

Best Answer

Answers

• bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    @edgerunner

Derived sketches maintain their link positionally to the original.  I am sure this is on purpose for 'top down' design.  The workflow is - make & derive layout sketches which are stable to drive size & position in new part studio. 

On the other hand derived parts can be independent positionally; only their features are linked.

Or perhaps Copy sketch entities could give you what you are after.  Of course that breaks the link to original... 
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • edgerunneredgerunner Member Posts: 9 EDU
    @bruce_williams my intent is to have a set of related parts that are mounted on different parts in different studios. The sketch is the common driver for the mounting features on the target parts, so it makes sense that it comes from the same studio as the source parts, but it needs to be positioned at the target studio. 

Using the source parts as derived parts and then deleting them seems like overkill, so is making a custom FeatureScript for something as simple as the reference sketch for a cut and a few holes.
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    edited April 2018
    @edgerunner

Seems like you could be using assembly.  You can insert sketch multiple times as needed, position to geometry or mate connectors, then the parts can be mated to sketch, and finally use in-context and copy parts in place in another part studio.

It will be helpful to share a link showing your intent and folks on the forum will jump in to help.
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edgerunner you may want look into incontext design.

While a little more complex, you'll save time with the translations as it's more easily defined in an assembly.

Remember, when doing incontext-ing, you can double the component in the assembly feature tree, this creates a ghosted image of the assembly while in the part studio. This is hard to describe, but it's the most impressive feature when designing incontext and it's brilliant. I just wish I could update the context even though I haven't made an incontext assignment.

@bruce_williams and @billy2 , I am already using in-context design for a lot of other stuff in the same document. I just didn't want to create another dependency chain in an already crowded document where a simpler solution would do. Anyway, so positioning a derived sketch isn't currently possible as it seems. Thanks for the input.
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    In v3 of Transform pattern feature I added support of sketch bodies, so I think now it covers your requarements.
    edited May 2018
    @konstantin_shiriazdanov I think that could do the trick. Maybe I will derive a simpler feature from yours for the future. It would be better to move the original rather than copy it.

In any case, you made a generally useful feature. Thanks a lot…