Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

I need the modeling about threaded hole

Junny_NamuJunny_Namu Member Posts: 2 EDU
Please. Let know about how to make threaded hole
Thank you

Answers

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    edited March 2018
  • Options
    Junny_NamuJunny_Namu Member Posts: 2 EDU
    Thank you for answer.

I have other question about The command 'hole'..

1. Is it can not thread modeling? 

2. How can i use it? I don't know why not apply.

• Options
    Hole command will not cut threads into a part. It is for calling out holes (tapped, counter-bore, counter sink) in a drawing leader.

It is common to not cut threads into a part unless you need to machine them or 3D print them directly off the model.

If you need threads try using thread creator instead: 
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6b640a407d78066bd5e41c7a/v/845d049782179b9faee8b6e6/e/f8aea9e5c33e02eab0854a4f
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi, no, the hole command can't make threads, this is why John has pointed you to other methods...  If can do pilot holes (tapped option), and it will put the correct information on a drawing, but not model the threads themselves. 

Also in your example you've selected "Clearance and Tapped"  so it's expecting 2 parts in the merge scope, the first for the clearance, the 2nd for the tapped.

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    Also please see the documentation for the native hole feature is here.

Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    sidney_quitoriosidney_quitorio Member Posts: 2
    @john_mcclary why is it common to not cut threads for holes where screws will be placed? I'm new to this so hope you can bear with me. But if I get one of my parts injection molded or machined, wouldn't there need to be threads for the screw hole?
  • Options
    @sidney_quitorio

There is a bit of a discussion here https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/33855#Comment_33855 on the merits or otherwise of modelling holes.

For injection mould you'd probably either use a threaded brass insert (so you'd model the hole for it) or self tapping screws so again you'd just model a hole.

The hole tool can take threading info, so  it'll show up on your drawings just fine, but no need to model the actual threads.

3D printing may be the exception, you can model genuine course threads and print then, but for smaller stuff we're back to metal inserts or self-tapping.

Any question please shout :)

Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    Also I would hazard a guess, most cad users will not be injection molding, CNC lathe thread cutting, or 3D printing every part.

Most manufactures will look at the thread callout on a drawing rather than pulling out a pair of calipers to the piece of paper. Then they will open their toolbox and grab the tap or die for that thread. So just round holes are more than plenty.

There are many that will need to model threads and that's why I linked the thread creator FS above.

Too much detail in a model is never a good idea, so unless you really really need to show fine detail. You should just stick to simple representations of it instead.
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    In the FDM 3D printer world, it is common to design parts that need threaded holes with simple holes that are sized slightly smaller than the diameter of the major diameter on the fastener and use the fastener as a crude tap in the hole to make its own female threads.  I'll often use a tap as well, but I'm a bit anal.
  • Options
    larry_haweslarry_hawes Member Posts: 478 PRO
    I've tapped most of my simple round holes for final assembly after 3D printing parts. There are guides as to correct smooth hole diameters for almost any size tap.