Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Sketch not able to be extruded?

ronnie_melaoronnie_melao Member Posts: 1 EDU
edited April 2018 in Community Support
I have sketched the Survivor logo, and now I want to extrude it. However, when I try to extrude, I can't select the sketch or any of the parts of it. The error for the extrude is: "Extrude did not regenerate properly: Select face or sketch region to extrude."

I am pretty sure this is a bug or something, because I have done three logos just like this one and they all ended up fine. Also, sometimes when I play around with the sketch and extrusions, it starts to work. However, there's always something wrong, and when I fix it, I still can't extrude.

Thanks for the help!

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/a1bb823ab4a1bac3c5b99441/w/8a25ffe53e15dc1e222c3cce/e/ff0acb0ae244e6625e3f730a

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited April 2018
    Hmm.

(a) I agree there is something weird going on here.  Enclosed sketch regions are not being recognised as such.

In this copy of your doc I've projected a small part of your existing (unedited) geometry onto a new sketch and it extrudes just fine.  I'd imagine you could continue this as a quick workaround.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/2ca7040decda2e92da2b71db/w/d89b4ce08f22935733505586/e/8d9f7c4832ff37805cb31f86

Hopefully an OS person will jump in and comment.  @philip_thomas maybe?

(b) Just for future help if you could cut 'n' paste the link directly from your browser that would be helpful.  The read only link from the share options gives the helper an extra step of having to search for the real doc so they can copy it and try to see whats up.

Cheers and happy CADing,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    (b) Just for future help if you could cut 'n' past the link directly from your browser that would be helpful.  The read only link from the share options gives the helper an extra step of having to search for the real doc so they can copy it and try to see whats up.
    @owen_sparks
    He has got a link, and it works too!
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    @mbartlett21

Hmm, that's weird, I could swear that "make a copy" button wasn't there a minute ago.

Sorry for the confusion.

O.S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    @philip_thomas

Could you please list best practices?  How far would you break this up into separate sketches?  The 'masks' are complex but look symmetrical to each other.   Would that be best as sketch of one side only and mirror feature?  etcetera.    I do a lot with imported geometry and sketches can be really challenging (use & offset)...

www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @bruce_williams

Keep sketches simple.
    Dont have multiple entities one on top of another

:)

I have no idea how long it took the OP to trace this - mind blowing.
    If I was facing this challenge, i would have made as many sketches as there were logical elements (eg 1 per (non repeated) mask).
    This might have been 8 sketches.

These recommendations are just to reduce the potential for a problem - as you can see, the solver is perfectly capable of handling this as one sketch.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
     :D
    Onshape handles so much it is easy (at first) to make over-complicated sketches. Good to know best practice of breaking up into logical simpler ones.  
    www.accuratepattern.com