Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Using hole feature in square tube

bill_danielsbill_daniels Member Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
I often need to sketch a hole in one side of a rectangular tube which doesn't penetrate the opposite side.  Usually I just pick a hole depth which insures full penetration of the near side but doesn't penetrate the far side.  This seems wrong and it is confusing laser cutting shops.  I should be able to choose "up to face" or something like that to specify a hole depth which goes through the near side but not the far side.

What have I overlooked?
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    Agreed, right now you have to use a depth. 
    In Solidworks you would use the end condition"up to next"
    This will say "THRU" in the Drawing
    alternatively you could specify "Through All" as an end condition, and it will say " THRU ALL" in the drawing

I have found up to next to fail more often in Onshape, so the best solution I have found in onshape is blind

having bl ind 1/2" deep when the tube wall is 3/16" is confusing for some people
    But I don't want to specify absolute Depth in the end condition because the wall and profile may Change and it is too easy to forget all your hole end conditions