Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Blocks?

Edward_GoodwinEdward_Goodwin Member Posts: 25 PRO
I've imported a dxf drawing into a sketch in an onshape part. As with SW, the lines in the drawing are not constrained to one another. In SW I'd normally create a block and then move/constrain the block itself prior to working with it as part of a sketch. How should I do this in OS? Thoughts? I simply want to group/constrain an imported drawing within a sketch such that I can use the geometry. I need to move the imported drawing such that it's correctly positioned within the part.
Thanks in advance! Edward

Comments

• bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    Have you taken a look at the sketch transform option? https://cad.onshape.com/help/index.htm#transform-sketch.htm?Highlight=sketch%20transform

By highlighting the sketch entities, right-clicking and selecting transform, you will be able to move the sketch components to position as you desire. You should see a manipulator with arrows and a center circle that you can use to move the sketch components around.

Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are no real sketch blocks currently, but you can insert imported sketch in assembly, constrain it to the desired positions, which can be defined by another sketch or solid geometry and use it while editing parts in context. Another way is to use Transform pattern FS, among other options it can transform sketch bodies to the positions defined by vertices or mate connectors.
  • Edward_GoodwinEdward_Goodwin Member Posts: 25 PRO
    Thanks guys. I'm still a bit confused. I'm inserting a dxf into a sketch within a part (not an assembly) so that I can use the geometry calculated elsewhere. But I need to constrain that imported drawing accurately. I can see the transform option but that simply allows me to drag it (or specify a distance etc). I can't see where I can, for example, click a point on the imported geometry, click a point on the sketch geometry and say 'coincident'. Without this, I won't know that the imported geometry is exactly positioned... Or am I missing something? Edward
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi @Edward_12

The good answer is you can do exactly as you want.  The secret is in the circle of the transform manipulator.  First you move that circle to the part of your geometry you want to reference from, then drag the whole lot and drop that circle onto the existing geometry you want to be coincident with.  Does that make sense?  It's one of those things that difficult to put into words, but simple to do once you know it's there.

Cheers,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    edited April 2018
    @Edward_12
    @NeilCooke Did an excellent short video for exactly what I think you are asking.  See it here.
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited April 2018
    Nice :+1:
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Edward_GoodwinEdward_Goodwin Member Posts: 25 PRO
    Thanks Owen and Bruce. That certainly gets me started!