Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Creating a drill angle

Hey guys, quick question. I am working on a drawing for a friend and essentially he has a 19mm hole that is being cut 10mm deep, then he has a 10mm thru hole in the middle of the 19mm hole, so I guess more of a counterbore. He needs a 118 degree angle but I can't figure out how to do it. I attached the picture. Where I'm at is in black, and red is what needs done. Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

Tagged:

Answers

• larry_haweslarry_hawes Member Posts: 478 PRO
    edited April 2018
    Can you revolve that cut/remove area and angle through the area you want cut? Create a plane or sketch line normal to your revolve, set all your angles and depths and revolve/remove that area?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j_t9f2R-5M
    edited April 2018
  • brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    Yuck. The feature is no longer a "hole" it's a revolve. When exporting to CAM, the feature will likely need extra work to make it a hole that gets processed by a drill. In a past life I would have used a custom step drill for making that hole (pretty easy to get from good drill suppliers). Therefore, I would like to model it as a "hole" with custom counterbore shape. It would be nice if Onshape can add specialty hole treatments like this, even if the shape has to come from a sketch (Creo does this).

While on the subject of holes, when is Onshape going to allow tapped holes to have custom chamfers or counterbores while retaining tap information?

Brian
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    It's a little messy, but you can accomplish the same thing by applying a chamfer to a counterbored hole. You just have to make sure the chamfer length is equal to the difference of the inner and outer radii.

I should have qualified my answer above as merely an attempt to be helpful as I am no expert in such things. I hope I didn't add to any confusion.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,305
    @larry_hawes you didn’t. Your solution is as good as any. 

If it needs to be kept as a hole feature then why not create 2 holes as per the specified requirements? One hole 10mm thru and one hole 19mm blind?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI