Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Rip a pipe for flat pattern

larry_nelsonlarry_nelson Member Posts: 5
How do you rip a pipe so it will give you the flat pattern?

Thanks,
Larry N

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    edited April 2018
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/28050bca2b1ddeb0acbab720/w/72369ffa7faabbf84de28ab1/e/83132e95ca640c16597dc091

See example above

What you do is draw your tube with a split circle
    extrude a surface using the split circle
    then use the sheet-metal tool to thicken that surface

• Options
    bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find putting the k factor to 1 gives you a good flat pattern to work with. 
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• Options
    kevin_mason558kevin_mason558 Member Posts: 46 EDU
    @brucebartlett
    when I tried split with my pipe (made using frame tool) it splits straight through into two parts 
    is there a way of only splitting once? 
    Problem would be joining the two patterns on one face, if it's split in two 
    I have a pipe that is mitred then notch so there's a different shape on the two halves when it's flattened 
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,504 PRO
    @brucebartlett
    when I tried split with my pipe (made using frame tool) it splits straight through into two parts 
    is there a way of only splitting once? 
    Problem would be joining the two patterns on one face, if it's split in two 
    I have a pipe that is mitred then notch so there's a different shape on the two halves when it's flattened 
    The best way to do this is probably do a thin cut (make it less than the "minimum gap" in the sheet metal feature):

Note that I could even do a sweep instead of an extrude to split both frame members in one go in this case