Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

convert simple imported sheet metal model into Onshape doc

bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 800 ✭✭✭✭✭
Currently Onshape does not have the ability to automaically convert an imported sheet metal model into and Onshape model that can be flatten (crossing fingers that this becomes a feature soon :) ) Here is a work around that I did on a simple sheet metal bracket. Granted this is a simple model and more steps will be needed to do a more complex model. I aslo did not use any convert to surfaces which would probably be another way to do this.

Step one import model:

Step 2 delete existing radius (use delete face command) of imported model so you have sharp edges to work with.

Step 3 select the sheet metal command. Select thicken and pick the face with the most geometry to convert. 

Step 4 use the flange command and use the imported model to extend the flanges to the extent of the imported model.

Step 5 repeat the process until all entites have been added to the new sheet metal part.

Here is the link to the public document.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c972f05d4ea87d8277c66137/w/a95780126d293c7d78aac831/e/99f3dcf247ec9ed433c58039

Hope this helps for those who work with imported sheet metal models. Can't wait until this will be a command that Onshape will do automatically.

Bryan Lagrange
Bryan Lagrange
Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

Comments

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Yes that's what I'd do.  It would be great if Onshape could have an auto convert feature which picks up the thickness and radi and also preserves the part ID so an existing part is not lost from an assembly after converting. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    edited April 2018
    @brucebartlett
    @bryan_lagrange

You can select the bends in the faces to convert when you convert to sheet metal.
    Also select them in the bends selection box, then they will work like normal bends

EDIT: I see, it doesn't work :disappointed:

You don't have to add your flanges like that though. They can be done in the Sheet Metal Model
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First, you can create a Selection to select all the fillets in the part.
    Second, as @mbartlett21 said, you can create all the faces in the sheet metal feature:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/7c05d9bd06c06824fd6ade5a/w/8b8cf0708ba99ecea8a8448d/e/8aea9e6044d09fbc7f522437
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Options
    Thank you @emagdalenaC2C that saved me a couple steps.
    Bryan Lagrange

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    edited April 2018
    Hi All!

Thanks for pointing this out, this thread has been very helpful for us.  The "tangent propagation" option on "Thicken" along with the "edges and cylinders to bend" was designed specifically for cases like this (as @mbartlett21 points out), but it appears that it's not working an intended.  Do you all find that often imported models have troubles like this?  If so, would you say that you have to use workarounds like this every time, a majority of the time, some of the time, or occasionally?
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Hi All!

Thanks for pointing this out, this thread has been very helpful for us.  The "tangent propagation" option on "Thicken" along with the "edges and cylinders to bend" was designed specifically for cases like this (as @mbartlett21 points out), but it appears that it's not working an intended.  Do you all find that often imported models have troubles like this?  If so, would you say that you have to use workarounds like this every time, a majority of the time, some of the time, or occasionally?
    Delete rad's is my standard workflow for imported sheet metal geometry, not ideal.  My biggest pain point, however, is losing the part from the assembly after converting to sheet metal, I wish there was a way for the new part to delete the old and take the old parts ID.  
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    Second what @brucebartlett said.
    Bryan Lagrange

• Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    I wish there was a way for the new part to delete the old and take the old parts ID.  
    Make an improvement request. I'll vote
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100