Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Some holes not rendering well

brian_woodbrian_wood Member Posts: 7 PRO
See pics.Most holes in my full assembly model look round. But all of the larger holes on the front bracket, as well as the fan guard, do not. They look fine in the assembly and parts views for those items. Why?

fg.jpg 53.5K

Comments

• Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi.

OS adjusts the tesselation values depending on how busy the model is to maintain performance. I'd imagine this is why they look to have fine detail on their own but not as part of a large assembly.  It's just the on screen rendering though, the actual geometry is not changed.

Owen S
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    That's all well and good, but when I am using screen grabs to create images for the manual, I need the resolution to be closer to reality.
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @brian_wood
    You might wanna use some renderer for that purpose. But I would agree that there should be a button to set priority on quality with the expense of performance. That could be also option for saved views as screenshots are the main purpose of having better 'work' quality.
    //rami
  • Options
    For some odd reason, it is all rendering just fine today. Must be the humidity in the air.
  • Options
    Paul_J_PremakumarPaul_J_Premakumar Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 198
    @brian_wood , Did you remove any parts or features from the model? If so that could change the tessellation quality. We try to optimize the tessellation settings to ensure good performance and graphics. Giving users more control on the tessellation settings is something we are considering.
  • Options

Hi.  With the current method is the performance of the local machine taken into consideration or is it just set with regards to model complexity?  (Just wondering if better kit our end would make any difference as it stands today.)

Cheers,

Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    Paul_J_PremakumarPaul_J_Premakumar Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 198
    Hi @owen_sparks,

Currently the tessellation settings are based solely on model complexity. However, we have plans to take individual machine performance characteristics into account and adjust tessellation quality accordingly.

@brian_wood, Can you please open a support ticket for this issue? You will be notified when we do make changes to improve the graphics quality.

Thanks
  • Options
    Thanks @Paul_J_Premakumar, that makes perfect sense.

Cheers, Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd